marine electronics question

peggsy

Newly Enlightened
Someone on CPF might be able to help me out with this one. I got a new (second hand)boat last weekend and discovered it needs a depth sounder and a VHF radio. I've heard that big savings can be had by buying from the US and having the gear shipped over to Aus, but the most I've ever spent on overseas gear is probably $200 AU.
I'm in the market for a Furuno FCV-600L and an ICOM VHF (but I'm also open to suggestions). I've checked prices on the net and they vary greatly, but basically what I'm after is recomendations of a reputable dealer with good prices who'll ship OS.

paulr

Flashaholic
Try West Marine www.westmarine.com I don't know about the OS shipping issue though, especially for tranceivers, which are subject to various kinds of regulations.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
P,
Ten years ago, I used to do a lot of marine radio repairs. Cases and trim levels change but only once in a while are the radios them selves (internal electronics) improved.

The Icom's (of ten years ago) were fair. When they died, they failed from strange things. Had one that would not go into low power. The problem was a failure in the radio's micro processor. The rest of it ran fine, but the micro had a bad bit that woulden't work the 1 watt feature.

Avoid the Raython radios. Yeah, they are slick and look nice, but all the ones I bench checked had this same fatal flaw.

Had one on a sail boat and discovered that the radio would reset it's micro processor because of low battery voltage. With less than 11 volts applyed (common in sail craft) the radio would glitch, and then transmit on 16 (emergency channel).

The Standard Maxi's had mechanical problems. They would flex in their brackets and reset the micro. Made a lot of money resoldering the power control chip back onto the board.

One of the better radios was the Standard USA II (sutable for use in OZ, not a clue). Hard to kill, built like a tank.

The Standards had one problem that was easy to fix, just time consuming. Part of the channel syntho there is a little box. In that box is an adjustment coil. The soldering of this coil is the pits. This is the VCO and when that joint fails, the radios rx the entire VHF band. You will hear cabs, ham radio, police stuff. Resolder that VCO coil and the radio works just fine. It's mechanically a pain but you might find one 'on the cheap' and that will fix 90% of all the flakey Standards in circulation.
Jack Crow in IRaq
Avoid anything that can't take a splash. Copper and salt water do not mix. Avoid bargans. Cheap radios are just that, cheap. Not weather sealed.

Examine the knobs. I don't want to tell you how many volume and squelch switches I have changed because salt water got into the aluminum of the control.

Also look into a premium antenna brand. The Shakespear units were rather good if memmory is correct. Im assuming this is going on a fiberglass or wood pleasure craft.

Much luck
Jack Crow in Iraq

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I have been out of the marine supply for too many years now to know what's what but I will second Jacks comments on Standard Horizon being good units. Before I left the industry, they had some small units that were very weather resistant and indeed dunkable! I had one on a 15' Hobie Power Skiff that spent more time wet than dry (salt water) and I just hosed it off after a day of sammon fishing. I think it was called a Titan but I am sure that the units have changed names and likely improved since then. You do get what you pay for, no ifs ands or buts about it! Don't know your needs but you might consider a hand held in addition or even in lieu of a base mount. If your potential "trouble" is loss of power, it's nice to be able to mak a call for assist! We broke a mast in a race down the Calif coast one year and our mast head antenna was draggin a couple feet below the surface and we were 40 miles off shore. We were able to notify the Coast Guard of our situation with a hand held I had and kept them abreast as we limped in to Monterey.

peggsy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I'll definitely check out the Standard Horizon units. I haven't seen them here in OZ but I'm sure I'll be able to order online. The set will be mounted in the wheelhouse, so no direct salt spray, but it'd still be good to have it sealed against the salty air. Looks like I'm gonna be spending up, although you're right that you generally get what you pay for, and you can't be stingy when it comes to safety gear. I guess I'd better get in now to order myself a Longbow eco with a PR head before the visa is maxed out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
P,
Just a follow up.
The radios I worked on were "US" Spec radios.

I have no idea what the channel system is in use there.
If you do an on line order from a US dealer, you most likely will end up with a US spec radio, and that can cause you lots of trouble.

Our FCC takes a dim view of non 'type accecpted' equipment on boats. Our Coast Guard will issue fines if they find any. So if you buy a radio with an FCC certification, and not what your country's rule making body is, that can cost you in the bank.

So if you do order a radio, get one from a dealer in OZ. Your best bet.

Much luck
Jack Crow in Iraq

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Another option, IF your willing to spend the $$ - find a true commercial radio in the right band and "split" (aka frequency range) and pay your local professional shop to program it. GE, Motorola, etc.

The HT that I carry everyday is kinda interesting - It started life as a Profession Firefigthers HT - Onely his department worked with the Coasties a LOT - they were lucky in one thing - the band their FD used was right near the USCG freqs, so they could use one radio for both!! Well, that SAME radio also reaches the 2m ham band. It's type accepted up in the Marine freqs - so I have both my ham stuff, AND the Marine band stuff in it - if I'm ever on the water, I punch 3 buttons, and I have a marine radio