How many of your friend think your CRAZY!!

coachbigdog

Enlightened
When people find out that lights are a hobby of mine,I get the weirdest looks.I don't blame them.A year ago if some one told me they liked this kind of thing,I would have said,"Get a LIFE!" Now I'm being told that.So here's what I am.I am a bodybuilding,bowling,fishing,flashoholic that can be heard coming a mile away in my car because of my subwoofers!Definitely not "run of the mill".

B@rt

Flashaholic
I'm an admin on a flashlightforum... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Do you have to ask? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
What Bart said! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Well, it depends on if you aks these who know or these who don't know about my interest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif They just laugh make some slight fun of me but other than that they are pretty fair and respect my insterests. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The hardest part is trying to explain to them that there are more lights around except for Maglite. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
My buddies used to make fun of me quite a bit,,, still do actually. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

They dont say too much anymore though, seeing how they are asking to use a flashlight every time we are out.
And then commenting on how nice the output is.

One of my friends cant say anything now, he made fun of me for about a month, then bought a SF 2Z and an Arc4. lol

Though, they do think my shelf FULL of lights, is alittle out of hand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
everyone at work laughs at me when i tell them that i am a member here - then they ask me what is wrong with their torch, or which torch to buy etc
oh - and they all ooh and aah when i pull out my thor and light things up

Greta

Flashaholic
After hearing how I came by a pair of $325 red patent leather Bruno Maglis, my girlfriends want to know how THEY can get a bunch of friends like you guys... and they sure as hell don't laugh at me anymore either... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

coachbigdog

Enlightened
I get people that chuckle a bit,but I get the BIGGEST looks or reactions when I answer the question,"How much did you pay?" Usually the jaw hits the floor! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man if I had a nickel for every person who thought I was crazy. Then I got into flahslights... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

capnal

Enlightened
Generally speaking, YES. Most people I know view flashlight collecting as funny or weird or strange. About 2 months ago, my friend really started to lay into me as to why it was mentally unhealty to collect something so weird. FOR THE MOST PART, I really play down the whole flashlight thing, except for my wife, who puts up with it and is generally a pretty good sport about the whole thing.

I recognize that I have a bad habit of turning items that I have a small interest for into a huge collection of dozens of the exact same item. And I would like to think I have started to cure myself of that. For example, I used to buy every old metal bottle / beer can opener I would find. (Same with cork screws, and most kitchen knives, and even old scissors) Now I very seldom even bother to pick them up to look at them and have given away or sold a large portion of what I had at one time.

Flashlights remain jsut about my only "addiction" ( or hobby) that I have not lost interest in. I mean, I know I have 30 of the old plastic Eveready 2D cell lights, and I know that they are in every drawer and cabinet and closet in the house, but I am OK with that.

One of my friends, an older man, and I were having a conversation about this. He buys guns like I buy flashlights. And we drew these conclusions:
#1. I can afford it. I am not going broke or putting myself in debt because of it.
#2. I don't have kids.
#3. I don't smoke.
#4. I don't do drugs.
#5. I am not out giving my money to bars or topless joints or anything like that.
#6. I see buying myself a new light as a small reward for all the constant stress and frustration I put up with day to day at work, etc.

"Hello, my name is CAPNAL, and I am a flashaholic. It has been 4 days since I bought my last flashlight."

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of them!
...at least until they remember they came over not to make fun of me but to borrow money; cos' then, they shut up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
How can it be possible that people don't question my insanity? Fred not, I take that opportunity as a conversation starter to turn them into one too.

naromtap

Enlightened
Yeah most think I'm crazy, but then nothing new there! I have however dragged 1 or 2 down with me so those probably think I'm not crazy! lol

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
One thought I was dog nuts...

Then he got me to build him a Madmax mini like mine!

Oh, my name is Playboyjoe and I'm a flashaholic. It's been over a week since I bought a flashlight (based on what Mr. Bulk posted!).

JOshooter

Enlightened
[in a dull droning voice] Hi capnal, hi Playboyjoe...

I have several that think I'm crazy because I EDC several lights, but then they ask for a light..."Are you crazy?! Why would you think that I have a light on me?"

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
"Hello, my name is The_LED_Museum, and I am a flashaholic. It has been 2 days since I bought my last flashlight. Nobody needs to know that I have at least 400 of the asinine things (they're flashlights!!!) but I just can't help buying more."

O, and I have a website about the asinine things (they're FLASHLIGHTS!!!!!!) but I like them all the same.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

capnal

Enlightened
"Hello, my name is CAPNAL, and I am a flashaholic. It has been 1 hour since I bought my last flashlight. I have had another slip. But, what I need to remember is that recovery is not a perfect fix, but a work in progress."

Now, see, this is a problem for me. I just got another light this evening, and I already have plans laid to get another tomorrow night!! DOH!! DOUBLE DOH!! I just remembered the one I have a bid in on Ebay.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif