Peak LED MicKinley high power reviews/opinions?

tech

Newly Enlightened
Morning all.

I'm really drooling over the Peak LED's new high power lights.
I'm especially interested in the 5 and 7 LED CR123 high power lights in the McKinley collection.

Anyone get any of these?
tests?
Reviews?
opinions?

T

Eric_M

Enlightened
I nominate tech to purchase one and give us a complete review.

All in favor.......

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Peak LED MicKinley high power reviews/opinions

Craig has nine entries on Peak lights on his What's New page, starting at 06-14-04.

There's at least one review from the McKinley Collection there now.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

My review of a McKinley product is right here if anybody is interested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
This is the 1xCR123A 7xLED flashlight.

fluorescent

Enlightened

tech is referring to the HIGH powered versions not the regular ones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Spuz

Newly Enlightened

I stumbled across the different power levels being defined here. It seems it's not so much that the high-power models are overdriven, as much as it is that the standard ones are underdriven. I got my shipping confirmation for a 7-led cr123 white high-power model yesterday; if no one's beat me to it, I'll happily attempt to take some beamshots, etc, though i don't have much in the way of other lights to compare it to.

On a sidenote, this place is evil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I can see I'm going to have to keep my credit card far, far away from me while browsing here, it's far too great a source of temptation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welcome to CPF Spuz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Eager to hear your opinions of the 7-led!

Spuz

Newly Enlightened

Conveniently, not only did I recieve my package from Peak today, but also my order from Batterystation. Though still not a great comparison, I can at least include an Inova X0 in the beamshots for contrast later tonight. First impressions: as others have already commented, the fit and finish are excellent. Brightness: yeah, it's got some of that too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Overall, I'm quite impressed.

tech

Newly Enlightened

Uhhh...how should I put this Spuz...

PICTURES...PLEASE!!!!

Yeah, that was it...

T.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I've been itching to get one of these lights too. Beam pics would be a bit of alright indeed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Spuz

Newly Enlightened

Sorry for the delay, real life intruded as it so often does. It's firmly on the schedule for tonight, though. A couple of observations now that I've had a bit more of a chance to play around with it:

1) It gets rather warm while running, especially if you're not holding it at the time. I left it in my pants pocket and must not have backed the head off enough, because it was on when I came back to it a half hour or so later. It was hot enough that handling it with bare hands was pretty uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be an issue in normal usage, but it's still a little worrying.

2) The waterproofness of the light is relatively impressive, given that the package only claims it to be water resistant.As I'd read that the LEDs and circuitry are potted in epoxy, I was willing to test it out by throwing it in a swimming pool (about 9'-10' deep) . It continued to run quite happily while submerged. When I retrieved it, there were a few drops of water in the threads and the bottom of the battery chamber. So, while obviously not a dive light, I'd imagine it would stand up to most water-related abuse it's likely to encounter in most other walks of life.

Has anyone with the normal-power version noted the heat issue? I suppose it's not entirely a bad thing, as at least it indicates there's good thermal contact between the LEDs and the body. Still, if the body is getting too hot to comfortably hold, I worry about what the junction temperature inside the LEDs must be like.

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
Spuz said:
Has anyone with the normal-power version noted the heat issue? I suppose it's not entirely a bad thing, as at least it indicates there's good thermal contact between the LEDs and the body. Still, if the body is getting too hot to comfortably hold, I worry about what the junction temperature inside the LEDs must be like.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a normal version and it is fine.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

When I ran the battery discharge analysis on mine, I forgot to measure its temperature.
So I don't have that data for this flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Spuz

Newly Enlightened

All right, without futher ado here are some beamshots. Peak on the left, Inova X0 on the right, lights at distances of 20", 3', 6', and 9' from the target. Camera is a Kodak LS443, photos taken in night mode, auto white balance, no flash. Target is approximately 32" wide

peakvx0-20in.jpg

peakvx0-36in.jpg

peakvx0-72in.jpg

peakvx0-108in.jpg

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Spuz, thanks for those pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Spudz,
I have the Peak AA with 5 high power red LEDs in a brass body. I ran an alkaline all night to see how well it worked and noted the heat it produced. Granted, it has only 5 LEDs but produced a surprising amount of heat. That tells me it is sinked very well so I am not worried about it. With 5 LEDs, if things get too crazy it will blow one of them although I don't see that happening.
After 8 hours on a single AA, it was producing enough red light to stay even with an Arc AAA red. The beam was narrower but the hotspots were the same. After letting the AA rest for a few hours, it read 1.227 VDC. I need to check it on a NiMH to see what it does.

DanM

Newly Enlightened

I am very happy with the Peak lights I ordered.

Double headed 123A with 7 White LEDs and 7 Red LEDs
Double headed 123A with 7 White LEDs and 7 UV LEDs
Single 123A with 3 White LEDs
Single 123A with 3 Red LEDs
Single 123A with 1 White LED

The double headed light is a neat idea, I like being able to change the LED heads around to make just the right combo.

Latest posts