Synchronicity and Serendipity

neogoon

Newly Enlightened
As fate would have it, I'm looking for some replacement LED bulbs for a Mag 2D and 4D and was trying to decide between Epieon and EverLED. I was leaning towards one of each -- lo and behold, brightguy is having a sale on the 2D Epieon (not to mention, giving me an excuse to get a UK 4AA eLed, too), and LEDCorp is having a sale on the EverLED. Maybe this is the start of a run of good luck...

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
Here's a nickel's worth of free advice -- stick with the EverLED. It's regulated. You can use it in both your 2D and 4D lights, and in any future acquisitions. Simpler that way. Also, my EverLED is clearly whiter than my Epeion 4D. Although your mileage may vary.

Oh, and definitely get the UK 4AA eLED. You can't beat the combination of useful brightness and long runtime. And it's Division 2 rated. I always keep one of these in my callout bag. I may have brighter lights, and ones that look more appealing, but if I could only have one, the UK would be it.

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second getting the EverLED over the Epieon. I love the versatility of putting it in practically any flashlight application between 1 and 6 cells with good regulation between 3V and 9V, whereas the Epieon is only for the specified number of cells and is unregulated. The EverLED circuit also protects against over-voltage, reverse-voltage and over-heating. I also think the side-emitters used in the EverLED make it better able to take advantage of the existing reflector.

I always felt that apart from the 2-cell Epieons, which are supposedly specially selected for low Vf, I could put my own Luxeons in to PR bulb bases for 3 or more celled lights for way less than the Epieon's asking price.

neogoon

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I figured the EverLED is a better option, but I don't have many PR bulb flashlights (just these two, as a matter of fact. Well, okay a lantern and a rechargeable that came with my cordless drill.), and they're pretty much either occasional around-the-house or under-the-car-seat/carjacker-thwackers, so I don't feel the need to pop for the whole shebang for both...

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The Epieon is a high dome emitter which makes for a very tight beam in a maglight. The Everled is a side emitter, so it works well with all the lights with reasonable reflectors, producing a light pattern similar to the original bulb.

I have to agree with the opinion that the regulated EVerled is a nicer product because it's not as sensitive to voltage.

Daniel