Best live music act you`ve seen?

LED-FX

Enlightened
Think a personal favourite has been Public Enemy still top quality performers after all these years.
If you could get a golden ticket for any performance who would it be?

Adam

flashlight_widow

Enlightened
I haven't seen them live (unless you count the Directv freeview concerts), but I'd go to great lengths to see U2 in concert!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best bands I've ever seen live were in small venues. It's a toss up for me between Cabaret Diosa which is a great Mambo band. Their violist is an old friend of mine from college and so whenever they are touring anywhere near me I make it a point to go see them. A more fun show in an evening you'll not find!

My other favorite was Moxy Fruvous which is kind of a strange group /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif A lot of great multi-part vocal harmonies, but they can also play the guitar, even though there is a lot of accordion in there too... They also put on a really great show.

I really don't have any interest anymore in huge stadium shows. I suppose I'd go see Jethro Tull if they came to town, but little else appeals on that level anymore. I saw sting, and his show wasn't all that good, I saw Don Henly who was probably the best liver performance in that size place, he really can play the guitar. I also really enjoyed Yes in concert years ago, but the sound system at the place was so screwed up that you couldn't really follow the music. I only went to see them all still wearing hip length capes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh, I almost forgot The Who! They were awesome (and LOUD) also. Great performers. But less fun from having to sit up in the cheap seats in a huge amphitheater. Go see bands in small places.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
James S, I actually have a Moxy Fruvous CD.

My fave live acts were Billy Joel and Jimmy Buffett. Buffett is more of an experience than a concert. You tailgate for the afternoon, and then enjoy the concert on a picnic blanket under the stars with lots of cocktails.

Joel

Newly Enlightened
Believe it or not, Weird Al. The guy works his butt off and sounds just as good live as he does on his albums. Everyone from kids to grandparents can go to the same show and have a great time. Then again "Cheap Trick" was always great when you were in the mood for the amp turned up to 11!

Joel

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
My fave live acts were Billy Joel and Jimmy Buffett. Buffett is more of an experience than a concert. You tailgate for the afternoon, and then enjoy the concert on a picnic blanket under the stars with lots of cocktails.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phaserburn, I actually did see Billy Joel too. It's been so long since I've been to a big concert that I forget /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Went through a time in the summers while at college when I went to quite a few. He was terrific in concert also. I was disappointed that he hadn't brought a fiddle player for the solo in the Downeaster Alexa with him, oh well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif he could have asked me, I would have brought my fiddle... But perhaps he didn't know I was going to be there and would have done it for free /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flashlight_widow

Enlightened
Off-topic, but James - you're a fiddler? My stepbrother is also a fiddler, he now plays mostly sessions in Nashville, though. What type of music do you perform?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i saw a show with 14 bands . me and freinds got there early we had seats on bar 4 feet from stage was way cool

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've been to only one live concert in my nearly 40 years...it was Blue Oyster Cult, with Nazereth as the opener.
This took place in the early 1980s in Juneau AK., at the Convention Center.
I've always wanted to go see Anthrax, but ticket prices and/or transportation were always an issue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steve Taylor. Definitely. He's about 6'6", maybe 140 lbs soaking wet, and has been known to do cartwheels across the stage. He's the most energetic performer I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. I've seen him in concert five times in the last 16 years.

Other notables include Tom Petty, Mike and the Mechanics, Glass Harp, Joe Satriani, World Wide Message Tribe, Newsboys (seen them 14 times) the Neville Brothers, King's X, Johnny Cash, Gaelic Storm, the Canberries, and Iona.

I used to average a couple dozen concerts a year when I was in my teens and early twenties, sometimes as many as two or three a week. Nowadays with a wife and two young children, I'm lucky to make it to a coupple live shows a year. We're fortunate to have a really good Irish Festival close by every year (in Dublin, OH), and we try to make it a priority to go every year. Lots of great Irish and Celtic music from many nationally and internationally well known groups.

-Keith

thevirusunknown

Newly Enlightened
I've seen quite a few shows, at a variety of venues and I can say that the best performance by far, was Tool. They put on a spectacular show. The combination of fantastic playing by all of the band members and the stage and lighting setup make for an incredible show.

Does anyone know how to upload pictures onto this forum? I could show one or two great examples of Tool's stage setup.

thevirusunknown

Newly Enlightened
Heres a pic of Tool live in concert...
19.jpg

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without a doubt, unequivocally, the absolute best concert I've ever been to was this past December when I got the extreme pleasure of going to a Bella Fleck and the Flecktones concert.

VERY highly talented bunch of fellas!!! And being a bass player, I was sorely humbled by Mr. Victor Wooten. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

neo_xeno

Newly Enlightened
the best concert i've been to was a counting crows concert in southbend, IN. i think their one of the best live bands out there.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Best SOUNDING band I ever saw (though wasn't a fan of the music) was Robin Trower in the old Music Hall.

What I liked best was a Big Band/Swing show at the 1894 Opera House in Galveston.

Absolutety LOVED Mama Mia at the Hobby Center, but it isn't exactly the same thing...

robk

Enlightened
WOODSTOCK 1969, Jimi Hendrix, despite the rain, mud, lack of food, toilets, etc. I was 17, and we were so stoned that we didn't mind the bad conditions. Good sound, but couldn't get too close to the stage.
Rob