GSM cell phone recommendations? (ATT)

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
Does anybody have any recommendations for a good GSM cell phone (ATT network)?

Nokia?
Motorola?
Sony Erickson?

Thanks

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my family we have these GSM ATT phones:
1) Sony Ericsson T616 (my 15 y/o son). Great phone, susceptible to scratches and dings as it is an open phone. Good reception, good speaker. Bluetooth compatible photo phone.

2)LG color screen 4015. (my wife and also 19 year old daughter). Both these are relatively new. So far good results, good reception.

3) LG noncolor screen, returned for poor reception and "walkie talkie like feedback after talking. OK reception and sound. (The new LG color screen is worlds beyond it.)

4) Samsung 426. Returned for poor reception, crackle in speaker. I hated it because it had only modern jingle type rings. However, my sister in law and her daughter both like theirs.

5)Motorola T721 Poor sound quality and a weird feature set. Returned because it developed a weird, epidsodic buzz that everyone could hear, but no one could diagnose.

6) My current phone, the Motorola V600. Best sounding and featured phone I've had and I've been carrying phones for more than 12 years. Photo phone which is bluetooth compatible. I am waiting on the Motorola MPX 200 replacement.

Its a money issue, the Sony and LG are good phones, so far the V600 has been a Great phone.

Bill

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sony Ericsson models have notoriously poor reception. If you just need something basic, the Nokia 3595 is tough to beat, as it has arguably the best reception of any Nokia available right now.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tylerdurden said:
The Sony Ericsson models have notoriously poor reception.

[/ QUOTE ]

YMMV, obviously.
I've had 4 and with Cingular they kicked butt over other family and friends Nokias.
My latest is the T637 and I love it's PC/PPC compatibility.

I also just tried ATT and immediately moved back to Cingular.
Everywhere in my house and in the 2 miles surrounding my work the ATT signal would die out and the phone would roam over to Cingular's network (the two companies are in the middle of a merger, BTW).
Same for my wife's Samsung phone.

The phones would still work and there was no extra charge for the roaming but mobile-to-mobile minutes can't be applied when roaming.

The Samsung X427 is incredible small and loud but there isn't one built-in ring tone that sounds anything close to a phone.
If you like your phone to sing, rap, meow, or whinny at you then give it a try.