Kitten Found Swimming 3 Miles Out At Sea

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was reported today from one of the news services and my mouth fell open.

Some friends were boating 3 miles off of the coast of Florida at 35 MPH and saw a kitten (9" long) swimming like crazy.

They scooped it out of the water and took it to a vet who pronounced it healthy. They named it Nemo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

No one knows how it got there but conjecture is that it either fell off of a passing boat or someone threw it overboard.

I hate stories about animal abuse but this turned out OK.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since July 4th, there's been a rash of animal abuse cases involving fireworks (and too gruesome to go into detail) in So. Calif.

I'm not into PITA radicals but I don't undertand how people can harm/kill innocent animals.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind the killing of animals if there is a reason. Food, self defence, contagion, environmental reasons like over population. I can't accept torture of killing only for the sake of killing. I have no problem with hunting but please eat the animal. Throwing an animal into the ocean, that is awful. I really hope this is a case where the kitten fell over and nobody noticed it. But they should be more careful and had noticed it gone if this were the case.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very happy the kiten was rescued, and if it was done intentionally, whoever did it should be dumpped 30 miles offshore, and NOT picked up by a Good Samaritin.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read the content of the link provided by Empath. It made my stomach hurt. It must have been awful for that little animal.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Omigosh, that poor kitten. The compassionate gentleman who rescued it has a friend for life now.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Pets don't dump people.

Greta

Flashaholic
An interesting tidbit...

When I was on my cruise, I had a hot stone massage treatment. The girl who did my treatment was very spiritual. Her name was Maria. She let me know why she had a small water fountain in the room... the bad energy had to have a place to go... it seeks water. She also let me know why she lit two candles in the room. She worked with angels and there were two with her at the time. Ok... some of you may find all of this strange but for my own personal reasons, I was with her on this. Anyway... she started talking about my daughter... telling me things about her that there is no way on earth that she could have known. One thing was that my daughter had an affinity with cats. This is very true. Then she told me that this was because my daughter was a prophet in ancient Egypt at one time... and she worked with cats. The cats were her angels. People would make "payment" to her with kittens. In turn, she would give the kittens to children who needed angels to watch over them. Maria told me that my daughter came by her current cat by "throw-away"... that someone had thrown away this cat and my daughter found her. This is true... she found the kitten in a box in the parking lot of the Petco she worked at. Maria told me that this particular cat would always be in my daughter's life and would always come as a "throw-away" so that they would recognize each other. BTW... this cat also has asthma... just like my daughter.

So now... here's the interesting thing that Maria told me about these "throw-away" cats. Back in the days of ancient Egypt, people believed that the cats that belonged to prophets were angels... so when the prophet died, the angels had to be "freed" to meet up with the prophet again in the next life. So they would take these cats and tie them in a bag and "throw them away" into water in order to release the angels.

Yeah I know... mumbo-jumbo... but in a strange kind of way, it does make one feel good... and it looks like "Nemo" just wasn't ready to give up his angels yet. Whoever gets this precious angel... will have a very special one...
angel.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Also O.T. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif In Mao's Cultural Revolution in China, the keeping of pets like cats was deemed "politically incorrect." Bubonic plague subsequently errupted in many Chinese cities. I think I have read there was a political connection (Catholic Church) to the "Black death" plagues in Europe. The complete environment is a complex puppy!

Larry

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I think the Chinese government has annual campaigns where they encourage people to kill/trap/poison rats for a few weeks as a sort of "community spirit" effort.