Are Surefire Flashlights Made in the USA?

Blue_Skies

Newly Enlightened
Hey folds, new guy with a stupid question and I hope I'm not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif. I've noticed that EVERY product I own has "Made In -insert country here-" stamped on it or the packaging. Almost every flashlight company that produces their lights in the USA has, in large print, "Proudly made in the USA" -or something like that on it.

Which brings me back to Surefire. Are Surefire flashlights made in the USA? I've checked their website, packaging, and even their magazine advertisements with no luck. I'm not one of those "If it's not made in the USA then its CRAP!" types of people, I'm just curious because if they are you'd think they would advertise it more.
Thanks

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Blue Skies,

Welcome!! While I'm not in the USA, but I am very sure that it is fully made there. There are some of our esteemed members who have had the great opportunity to visit their factory/workshop, IIRC. So, yes, you can proudly say that SFs are fully made in USA... unless someone else knows something that I don't?

Hope you enjoy your stay here, am sure you can't get away from the forums now that you're in! Keep an eye on your wallet and c/cards too!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fivebyfive

Enlightened
On the tail cap of my Z3 it says "SUREFIRE USA". I don't know if this means that it was made in the USA.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand some of the parts are OEM out of the USA, presumably China. Is that true?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the chargers are made in CHina (so they're stamped). I've heard rumors that the aluminum rechargeables were made overseas.

--dan

*Retired*
Any of the ones with electronics in them, the many of components in them are made in the Far East (Asia).

For the Luxeon based ones, many of the Luxeons are made in malayasia as I recall from the LumiLEDs conference on the Luxeon. (could be some other far east place, I used to know what street it was on...)

Kinda reminds me of a notebook factory in Taiwan, where there were multiple brands being made (Dell, Compaq, etc.)
and once they arrive in the US, they are assembled by putting a sticker on the bottom, so they can claim Assembled in the USA.

Blue_Skies

Newly Enlightened
Interesting stuff. I'm not trying to make a huge stink over this, IMO Surefires are the best flashlights out there. I own 4 of them. I just find it strange that the only thing Surefire sells that states "MADE IN USA" are the SF123A batteries.

OK, I'm done.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Blue_Skies,

It may be so obvious to SF as well as their core base of customers as to *where* these lights are made that the thought was never given to identifying the product with country of origin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
They are made in southern california and if I can be more specific I believe they have machining facilities in Fountain Valley, Santa Ana and possibly Huntington Beach - all in the good ole USA!

Gman

Enlightened
Though not a totally accurate indicator the price should give you a fair idea where they're made. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

capnal

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Blue_Skies said:
Interesting stuff. I'm not trying to make a huge stink over this, IMO Surefires are the best flashlights out there. I own 4 of them. I just find it strange that the only thing Surefire sells that states "MADE IN USA" are the SF123A batteries.

OK, I'm done.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, don't count on Sure actually manufacturing the batteries themselves. To actually set up and manufacture batteries would be entirely more expensive than they could afford, especially selling their batteries for so cheap. Count on them being re-labeled by another battery manufacturer. For example, our friend here from Battery Station, sells his own 123s with his label on them. You don't think that he gets them from the Battery Station Electric Cell Manufacturing Company do you? Of course not. This is a common practice. This is not a knock against either SF or BS, this is just what a lot of people do. I remember reading in another thread here on CPF (i think in the batteries section) about alkaline cells that had different labels on them but only actually originating from a few manufacturing sources. Another thread here on CPF was discussing the "Red Gummy Bear Beam Filter" and that member stated that he was TOLD by Surefire that this was a product they do not manufacture.

None of these examples are anything bad. In fact, it makes common sense for companies to outsource components from another company that is already tooled up for making that specific type component and to sell it as their own. Otherwise companies such as Surefire could never sell their products at prices we could all afford.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
I've always wondered the same thing. You would think a company as American as Surefire USA would plaster "Made in the USA" all over their packaging, as well as, flashlight. Could it be that since some of their parts are contracted out (outside of the US) i.e. electronics, bulbs, batteries, etc...they cannot legally claim "Made in the USA". Although I did hear a rumor that the Surefire batteries are made in a plant somewhere in CT.