Arc AAA+pressure tight+subway= freaky experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, being in NYC I'm on the subway a lot. After crossing a bridge and a crossing a tunnel, it was EXTREMELY difficult to turn on. Had to remove the head. Right after the O-Ring came out, I heard a loud hiss. Swore I broke it.
Thanks for making such a nice, tight productI'll totally trust this in water.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
A fellow colleague/flashaholic had the same experience a few days ago with his AA. Could it be the rising temperature? I'm sure there was a thread about this before.

BTW what happened to the guy who somehow sealed his AAA by changing batteries...umm.. underwater?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

simbad

Enlightened
My new AAA replacement is a bit tighter than my old ones and still good for one-hand operation, I think is better for water proofness.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Arc AAA+pressure tight+subway= freaky experien

Alkaline cells will sometimes outgas enough to make Arc's AAA head difficult to remove. I found that firmly pushing the head and body together will help removal when pressure builds up.

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall

What happened to that guy is he now works at Arc. I uh wanted to test to see if it really was posible to get water on the circuit board and have none leak in. Not one to take the simple way I decided to change the batteries multiple times 9 feet down in my cousin's pool. It didn't effect the electronics but the clorine(sp?) played heck with the none chemcoted interior. Had I dried and relubed it within 24 hours im sure it would not have corroded into one peice. But , I didn't and it did. half a month later i vised the flat bottom and grabbed the head with channel lock pliers. After i got it open and cleaned it out (thanks Dremel) and relubed it gave me another good year of service - surviving being target practice , active "see how this light is wayyyy tougher than yours" demonstrations and dunks into cups of molten coffee(this last on was very hard on the led so dont copy it) it would still be lighting things up for me now if it had not been sent to gransee for retirement.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

how did you tighten the head of the arc AAA past the point where the O-ring sealed against the battery tube? or was the O-ring removed when you did that?

Sharp

Enlightened

TrevorNasko,
So you're saying the ArcAAA can get its battery changed underwater w/o taking damage, assuming you clean it afterwards?

Richard

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast

Could it have been your ingenious experimentation that landed you the job at Arc then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Sharp said:
TrevorNasko,
So you're saying the ArcAAA can get its battery changed underwater w/o taking damage, assuming you clean it afterwards?

Richard

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the LED and bezal is potted, so this is possible. The issue you'd run into is with the battery and how it handles the water. The Arc-AAA will do just fine.

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall

It is potted. Arc only sells one model currently that isn't potted and that is the ls. Both the AAA, AA, and Arc 4 (all revs) are capable of operation while waterlogged without killing the light. That said, I wouldn't do it on purpose if were you.

Sharp

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:

I believe the LED and bezal is potted, so this is possible. The issue you'd run into is with the battery and how it handles the water. The Arc-AAA will do just fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
TrevorNasko said:
It is potted. Arc only sells one model currently that isn't potted and that is the ls. Both the AAA, AA, and Arc 4 (all revs) are capable of operation while waterlogged without killing the light. That said, I wouldn't do it on purpose if were you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I sure wouldN'T try that with a 123 in the water /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif.
Anyway, I really don't think I'll do it, since I'm always afraid something could happen to my little, old Arc AAA which served me for a very long time now. It would be unfair to kill it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Richard

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some guys used to use these diving housings for Nikon F4 cameras/ The prob was, when water got into them, the Ni-Cds would explode (salt water)
The pressure build up is happening a lot. I just open it up and put it back again

Status
Not open for further replies.