Scariest moment of your life.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

coachbigdog

Enlightened
One of the scariest moments that I'll alway remember happened when I was in Middle school.I'm now almost 33 so it was pretty scary.Anyways,I used to live right in front of my middle school.If you looked out my back window you could see it.It was a very dimmly lit school at night and VERY spooky.There was and still is a rumor that a girl was killed by a bus and that she roamed the halls at night.MANY of the neighbors,I'm talking adults,swore they saw her at night starring out the window.Anyways ghost busters was out about that time.One night,real late, me and 2 friends walked back to the school.I dared my friend to yell out,"I aint afraid of no ghost!" and as SOON as he did one of the lights that lit up the lot came on.We ran SO FAST,not to mention we about dumped in our pants!I can still see that night CLEARLY in my head!

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
On the day my father died, Christmas day 1999, my 2 year old developed a fever. He was staying with my sister-in-law because my wife, mom, and I were at the hospital with my dad. She called me and said his temperature had risen from 101 to 104.5 in 2 hours and was taking him to the hospital. I left my wife and mom with my dad and headed back home, and hour away, to see about my son. When I got to the hosital where my son was taken I found them sitting in the waiting room. My son looked like he was in a coma. I told the nurse at the desk that my dad was dying and that they needed to see my son as soon as possible. Well after a few words back and forth and me threatning to take my son elsewhere, remember my state of mind at the time, they took him on back. His temperatue was by then 105.7. While he was being seen a nurse came and got me and said I had a phone call. I noticed she patted me on the back when I picked up the phone. It was my wife telling me that my dad had died. Well I go back to the room with my son and the doctor says he has a 50-50 shot at surviving. Doc said if he makes it through the night he may live. Well thank God he lived but that was the scariest and maybe the worse day of my life. Even though my sister-in-law was with me I dont think I have ever felt so alone as I did that day. Excuse me as I go hug my now 6 year old son.

maverick

Enlightened
Scariest time for me was the first time I got lost during a flying navigation exercise. That feeling of helplessness and not knowing what to do was overwhelming. The most awful thing was knowing that the sun was setting, I was starting to get low on fuel, and that I can't just park on the side of the road and ask someone. But in hindsight it all happenned for the better. You get a big confidence boost after something like that especially the first time!!

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
The scariest moment in my life so far, I was barely 8 and my parents both had busy jobs; one night, they both had important meetings and I was told to keep my little sister quiet and to sleep as soon as I finished dinner while they were out. Of course, I didn't and watched tv for sometime and felt asleep on the couch. I remember being awaken by my little sis crying and finding out my parents were both 2 hours late. The late news was on and reported a major car accident in my region. I panicked and called the police to ask what to do but the guy wouldn't listen to me and told me not to call again(try to explain your call when you are 8). Then I took my sister and tried to go to the police station (I knew where it was but it was night) and got lost. Finally, some lady on the street took me back to my home where my parents just arrived. It turns out they were stuck in traffic because of the accidents. The police even called back to ask about me.
That's one night I wish I actually went to bed when my parents told me to.

coachbigdog, that's funny! When I was returning defective computer parts in a shop, the clerk told me he couldn't refund me. I was in a bad mood that day and yelled out "What?!?" and at the exact same time, the thunder strikes. Everyone in the shop stared at me and took a step away from my direction. The clerk still didn't refund me...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
kongfuchicken said:
I was in a bad mood that day and yelled out "What?!?" and at the exact same time, the thunder strikes. Everyone in the shop stared at me and took a step away from my direction. The clerk still didn't refund me...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny... what timing! Should'a told them to start building an ark... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
For me it was the last 3-4 seconds before touching the deck during my first night carrier landing. It literally took my breath away. After the aircraft stopped, very abruptly I might add, I screamed out a word at the top of my lungs that described what I nearly did in my flight suit.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i dont wannna say the scareist but ill say a scary fun one.well a freind came over and she new i liked the freddy movies .well she got me this cut out of him like a full size cut out that stand up and looks pretty real well i was in a hurry so i just put it in the hall way and took off came back a few hours later totaly forgot about freddy .and well to say the least i was scared pretty bad

coachbigdog

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
i dont wannna say the scareist but ill say a scary fun one.well a freind came over and she new i liked the freddy movies .well she got me this cut out of him like a full size cut out that stand up and looks pretty real well i was in a hurry so i just put it in the hall way and took off came back a few hours later totaly forgot about freddy .and well to say the least i was scared pretty bad

[/ QUOTE ] That would not be something that I'd want hanging around my house!Yikes!

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Several of the scariest have concerned flying. 1st, I should say that I have a fear of heights. That doesn't always stop me, but I get freaked out.

Scariest may have been when a buddy took me up for a ride in a Cesna. I've logged hundreds of hours in PC based simulators so I know the general process. As we came in for a touch and go at a field in western Nevada, we were discussing the effect of altitude on the plane's performance. In essesnce, the performance sucked. He told me that he'd never been to this airport before. Just before the wheels touched down he muttered "Oh poop" and fumbled with a control, later I found out it was the flaps. We picked up speed as we neared the end of the runway, but I was ready to jump out the window as my buddy kept saying to himself, "come on, you can do it. Just a bit more....". We were barely off the ground when we ran out of runway.

It wasn't until we landed for lunch (at the same field) that he admitted that he'd set me up. He came to that field once a month for their hamburgers and malts.

Almost as scary was doing the "Air Combat" thing in Arizona. You really get to fly the plane, including upside down and straight towards the ground. It's a great feeling unless you think about the fact that you are 1 mile up doing stupid stunts.

Daniel

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
coachbigdog said:
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:

[/ QUOTE ] That would not be something that I'd want hanging around my house!Yikes!

[/ QUOTE ]lol i dont have it no more it looked to to real /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I was 17 and driving my dad's car alone on a winding mountain road. I took a curve a little too fast and as I drifted to the outside edge of the road I hit very loose gravel on the shoulder. The shoulder had a sharp roll off and the car started to slide sideways over the cliff. It was probibly 60-70 feet to the bottom. At the last moment I regained control. I could have shoved my finger into an outlet and powered a city with the electricity flowing through my body just then.

GregR

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if this was the scariest,but...

A few days after watching "The Ring" I was staying up late at night on the computer (not unusual). Well when I do this my wife and son are asleep so all the lights are off in the house. It's just the computer monitor that lights up the office. Anyway, I was looking up web sites about the movie and getting creeped out I might add, when my infant son woke up crying. I went into his room, which has a blue nightlight, to calm him down to go back to sleep. I had just got him to sleep and was patting him on the back when I turned around to see my wife standing in the doorway. She had on a white nightgown and has long straight hair. The blue nightlight lit her up so that it looked as if her hair was covering her face. Those who saw "The Ring" know what this looked like./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif I let out quite a yelp which of course woke up my son again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Reading through this thread brought back other "scariest moments"....

When my girlfriend looked up at me with puppy-dog eyes and said "I'm late".

When I changed lanes to the right at 65 MPH on a dark road, only to find out that I was half a block early for the apeparance of the new lane. I flew at least 50 feet before touching down. The next day I went back and saw the 4 foot tall drainage pipe in the middle of my "landing strip".

When the doctor said "We're not sure your son's going to make it", and yet he did.

Daniel

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
One night I was coming home from work and I got into a race with this blue car.
I was going from Beaverton to Portland Oregon.
The blue car and I were going about 115 MPH or so.
Weaving in and out of traffic hitting the brakes hard and then punching it. I was going downhill heading for the sylvan tunnel.
I was in the inside fast lane. the blue car was right next to me.
In my lane about 2 or 3 seconds away was a big car. I was going about 110 120 MPH. The speed limit down hill to the tunnel is 50 MPH.
I had been using my brakes hard. my brakes were a faded memory. I had no where to go I had visions of hitting the car in front of me flipping over it flying over the oposing traffic divider and going thru the tunnel on the side opposing traffic uses upside down and backwards or something and in flames.
With about a second to spare the blue car moved over and I slowed down to about 85-90 MPH and went flying thru the tunnel.
To top it off there was a stalled car in the tunnel and I almost hit two people putting out
flares.

I really thought I was going to die.
Back then for about 5 years I always drove very very fast going to work and back.
High output quad fours are pretty tough engines.
I torture tested mine every day and it never gave me any trouble of any kind. Practically every day and night I went well over 100 MPH.
I drove like an idiot. I have grown up I drive slower now.
I only got 2 speeding tickets going back and fourth to work and this is the only really close call that I remember.
I put a lot of other drivers at risk--stupid.
I should put this in the what is the stupidest thing you ever did post.

Frangible

Enlightened
When I got out from jury duty, and the door was locked and it was dark in the courthouse, and the guy I had just found guilty helped me open it.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Car fires, stitches, cuts, etc. don't bother me unless it's my family or friends that are hurt. I tend to deal with the problem at the moment and have the drama set in later.

Wasn't in car crashes, near misses, flying, or nearly drowning (I was too busy to be scared).

Wasn't when I had a 5,000+ lb. piece of equipment hit me and break a bone. It happened too fast and I was too ticked off.

Wasn't riding shotgun in a whiteout snow storm in the Adirondacks for over an hour (the tinny little noise from the back seat my buddy and I heard for fifteen minutes turned out to be his panicked wife singing show tunes under her breath to keep her nerves under control!). I'd almost do that one again. And it wasn't navigating by a hundreths-of-a-mile odometer in a car rally for half an hour during a whiteout because we couldn't see the end of the hood of the car but knew cars were coming behind us (with the same buddy driving as before -- been there, done that -- really deja vu). I'd do that again, too.

Wasn't standing at the edge of a closed course, high speed rally route and seeing a). a car hit a tree, b). a car hit a truck, or c). a car hit a photographer (different rallies, different spots, different cars, btw). Wasn't even when a Canadian driver on the practice/press stage I was working kept using me as his apex marker on the turn. He knew that I knew that he knew, and kept getting closer and closer, and grinning more and more. He was smiling pretty big after the last run he came within about six inches and I didn't move. Kinda freaked out a safety marshall though. I still do stuff like that when I can. Trust is a beautiful thing.

Wasn't having knives pulled on me or having a loaded shotgun waved around in front of me. Wasn't drawing a bead on the guy breaking into the downstairs apartment where three girls lived. He didn't try for the secluded kitchen window, where there was a purse and a TV. He was on the front of the house, under a light, going for a bedroom window. Don't want to do that again, but I would.

Wasn't saying, "I do." Wasn't signing the mortgage papers. Don't want to do that again either! Once is enough for both.

The second scariest moment was explaining to friends that a buddy (26, maybe 27 years old) of ours had had a major cardiac episode and lying to them by saying he was going to make it. The #1 was when we had been doing CPR on him for twenty minutes and the security guard then asked if he should call for an ambulance. Never been more mad and scared. If I hadn't been so exhausted and working so hard, I would have beat that fool to a pulp. That was over twenty years ago and it still gets me. It's one of several reasons that I don't trust anyone to be able to bail my butt out of a jam.

After that episode, I don't usually get too scared. I've got a few bright lights to keep the dark at bay, and not all of them are flashlights. Still don't like it much when a critter jumps out of nowhere, but I gotta smile when I know that my stepson thinks I've led a boring life. It's all a matter of perspective. Everyone has a few things to forget, but hopefully, more to remember.

- (a different) Craig

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Up to this very moment, the most scared I've been was on a motorcycle.

I had a girl on back who had never been on a bike before that day. At the time of the scare though, she had no grip on me.

I was coming up I-45 from Galveston, and was behind a Winnebago. The cover off the AC on top came flying off RIGHT at me. I eased left, it eased left. I eased back right, it did too. It was oh hell time.

I was resigned that this was gonna hurt, and I would never have been able to live with myself if I hurt her (or killed her).

It finally mercifully, flew up and to the left.

I looked over my shoulder at her and she hadn't a clue anything was wrong! AHHH, the bliss of ignorance!

Anyhow I have another bad one coming up.

If we ever sell my Grandmothers house, we will be looking for a new place to live on an acre or a couple down towards Alvin. When the time comes to actually pack up and move from the house I've lived in for some 17 years now, PANIC will set in!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.