Tripuss debut

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going camping and with a day to go it was a scramble to get something thrown together for a camp light.

So, using 3 FlexiLED heads (wired in series) with 1W luxeons and a Fatman driver with an external dimmer pot and a 6V gell cell to drive it - Tripuss was born - it's even smiling dimly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tripuss.jpg

Here it is on the Tripod smiling brightly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The tripod can extend to about 7' high.

tripod.jpg

Pictures taken in daylight of course. Should make a great camp light, especially 'behind and above' our camp chairs. Finally a camp light that doesn't put light into your FACE!

george.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif very nice !
now a version with integrated (non rechargeable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif) battery would be a real winner IMHO !
bernhard

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:
Georges80, we look forward to a review with beamshots when you get back.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Back from the camping trip. Tripuss worked nicely indeed - we had one head pointing at the fire area from just behind the camping chairs, one pointing at the tent area and one behind to the camp table. The 60 degree beam angle worked well to light things up nicely. Enough light for our young kids to search for twigs to throw in the fire and not trip over...

Having the light come from above was VERY nice - that's one of my pet peeves with lanterns - the light is in your face - very irritating.

We ran it about 2 hours each night with about 400mA into the 3 Lux 1Watters. Fatman worked well, the dimmer control worked great and the 6V 4Ahr gell cell had no problems for the 2 nights we ran it.

george.

jtice

Flashaholic
VERY nice mod George !!!!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Dont know how I missed this post before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
That would be a GREAT camp light, nice work,

Im going camping in August, and have already made a Pelican case, with flexiLED kit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This is some power you have there though... me likes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
VERY nice mod George !!!!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Dont know how I missed this post before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
That would be a GREAT camp light, nice work,

Im going camping in August, and have already made a Pelican case, with flexiLED kit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This is some power you have there though... me likes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it worked VERY well on my camping trip. I have a nice protected li-ion cell pack that I really should integrate in there for the next trip in a few weeks (of course I'm sure I'll be doing that the night before leaving...).

I should have entered tripuss in one of those modding contests - it was probably even around the right timeframe to enter...

george.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Cool George and very functional! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif With your other mega driver, you could do a luxeon based octopus! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another camping trip - 3 nights of tripuss light. Worked great again, even survived an entire night of being drizzled on from thick coastal fog.

Here's a pic (beamshots /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) of it in action one night. I've pointed at the 3 heads - 1 towards the fire area, 2 towards the tent area and 3 inbetween and so my wife could read.

Still running with a 6V 4Ahr gell cell - but at least I changed out the dimmer pot for one with a switch - so no more having to unplug the battery pack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

tricamp.jpg

The light in the background is one of those coleman area/torches with a 1W Luxeon SE retrofit. My youngest decided it was the right time to dig a hole...

george.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats some pretty bright stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif awesome last minute build.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
love that you built it from 'off the rack stuff' good job george.

I think i need one of your fatman drivers.. i'll be in touch.

-awr