• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired VIP hotspot brightness

Rudi

Enlightened
I received my BH today, and what a beauty!
I did comparative measurements of the brightness at the center of the hotspot (indicative of throw?), and compared with several ARC models. I used a Minolta Flashmeter III, accurate to 1/10 of an f-stop, that has been reliable for three decades. The numbers represent relative brightness at the center of the hotspot.

VIP+BH on high..100
VIP+BH on med....70
VIP on high......35
VIP on med.......25
ARC4+/2 on high..55
ARC4+/2 on #3....40
LSHP-F...........25
LSHP.............18
LSLP.............18

Rudi

Enlightened
Sorry if I've posted to the wrong forum. I'm new to all this. Any advice is appreciated.

I plan to add to the above data as soon as I receive My FF2 and Blackbid.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I also drew a "huh" when looking at that.

I thought that the ARC had a 1W emitter. I know that the VIP features a 3W emitter and drives it close to spec on high.

Unless the Arc throws a pencil-thin beam of light and can throw all its photons at the sensor, I don't see how it can score higher.

Rudi

Enlightened
You guys are talking total light output. My measurements are in the center of the hotspot.
Yes, my 4+r2 is about 1/2 f-stop brighter (50% brighter) than the stock VIP, in the center of the hotspot. . The 4+r2 hotspot is small, and dims rather abruptly into the side-spill. It's a bit harsh, but that's good for throw.
The VIP's hotspot, although a bit (not "way") dimmer in the center, is a bit larger in diameter, and transitions more gradually into the side spill, putting out a significantly greater amount of light which in actual use makes it appear appreciably brighter than the 4+r2, despite being somewhat dimmer in the center of the hotspot. On a dark night, with fresh batteries in both lights, shining them alternately at a distant tree-top, the 4+r2 illuminates the distant tree-top noticeably brighter than the stock VIP (both lights on high), confirming my measurements in the initial post. But that's not the way I use my flashlight. I use it mostly in close-to-medium distances, where the not-so-bright center of the VIP's hotspot and the more gradual transition into the side-spill make its beam preferable to my eyes because it is not so harsh. Walking in the dark, illuminating the way ahead, the VIP appears significantly brighter on account of its superior side spill, not that the 4+ side spill is bad. I love both lights. They are both masterpieces of design, function, esthetics, machining, and so nice to feel.
And then there's the BH! It makes the VIP even more beautiful, and that distant treetop in the dark ever so much brighter.

Latest posts