L4 and TW4....current and voltage readings!

luxlover

Banned
What is going on in the L4's circuitry, that allows it's 5 watt Luxeon array to handle 7.36 watts? How much does this reduce it's lifespan?
L4
5.94V = voltage, no load
4.60V = voltage, under load
<font color="red">EDIT: 1.05A = current, under load</font>
<font color="red">EDIT: Disregard this line.....1.60A = current, under load</font>
<font color="red">EDIT: 4.83W = wattage</font>
<font color="red">EDIT: Disregard this line.....7.36W = wattage</font>

How can so little wattage coax the 5 watt Luxeon array to emit so much light? This light may just run forever on one battery. Is there any point in the runtime of a battery when the KL4 is regulated?
E1e light + KL4 bezel + Z57 tailcap
2.99V = voltage, no load
2.72V = voltage, under load
<font color="red">EDIT: 150mA = current, under load</font>
<font color="red">EDIT: Disregard this line.....110mA = current, under load</font>
<font color="red">EDIT: 0.408W = wattage</font>
<font color="red">EDIT: Disregard this line.....0.30W = wattage</font>

jtice

Flashaholic
Are you saying the L4 runs at 1.6 Amps off 2x123 !?!?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
That seems rather high, I thought is was running around 750mA ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I know mines a batt eater /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I havent ran it off just one cell much. Is the output fairly flat over the runtime?

kj

Enlightened
I believe these are input voltage and current, so the data of the 2x123 configuration are reasonable if we assume the converter efficiency is around 60~70%.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
What kj said. Don't forget that the boost circuit is using the power of the 7.36 watts to boost the Vin from the 4.6 up to a Vout somewhere around 7 volts.

Luxlover,

The efficacy of the LED's is great at low current levels. The KL4 driver is never providing the designed output current to the LED on a single 123 cell.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
Are you saying the L4 runs at 1.6 Amps off 2x123 !?!?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
My L4 consumes exactly 1.00 amp (1,000mA) with two CR123A cells.

jtice

Flashaholic
Ahhhh those were INput ratings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif gotcha

Its a shame they vary SO much, in what mA they draw, and how they run on one cell.

Good old luxeon lottery.

luxlover

Banned
I must humbly apologize to all who have read my post. I have edited the post above. I made a gross error. The input current of my L4 is indeed close to Craig's L4......at 1.05A. It appears that my method of measuring the current introduced a lot of extra resistance. The 1.60A reading was achieved by me propping the battery tube inside an empty prescription drug bottle with the switch "on", resting the KL4 bezel flat on the table, using two flexible cables with alligator clip terminations, and hooking up the LED contacts with the battery terminals through the ammeter. I just duplicated this procedure, and sure enough I got 1.60A again. The number of cables and connections did a number on the ability of the batteries to deliver their payload "through the path of least resistance." The 1.05A reading I just got, was made simply by placing the leads of a digital ammeter (2A range), between the battery's negative terminal and the battery tube. This is how the tailcap connects the LED to the batteries, and this is how I should have done it yesterday. Again, if all of you think that I am a nutjob, I will agree with you! With my experience with electronic devices over the years, I should have known what I was doing. I will be more careful in the future, rest assured. I feel lower than an alligator's belly !

Luxlover.....The Lame One!

kj

Enlightened
Luxlover,

Did you measure the battery voltage again with your new method? I think that 4.83 watts is rather low and I suspect the battery voltage may be higher than 4.60 volts at that load.

If it's still 4.60 volts, I would say you have a low Vf LED in your KL4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif