Dream EDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta_FHInX

Newly Enlightened
I've been searching (an unhealthy amount of time) for the most practical EDC for me. I failed miserably as I spent lots of money looking for it. Its a given that the quality and service from ARC is great; plus ARC specializes in the EDC department, so hopefully they can help me.

What I have in mind is a small keychain light with:

AA/AAA battery
Lug style/ or removable tail (that can stand up on end)
3W Luxeon
High mode (15+ min)
ultra-low mode (24+ hours)
waterproof

Is this a dream (I enjoy sleeping) or will I have to wait a few more years?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you'll have to wait for a few more years. Our current energy storage technology is not nearly up to the level in which you can have a Lux 3 at high (750ma ?) for 1 hour and Ultra low mode of 24 hours... unless..... you have 500 ma as a high and 50 ma as a low, but I think most convertors would have problems stepping up from the 1.2 volts (average) of a single AAA / AA battery up to the 3.6 volts 500 ma that is needed.

Assuming a 100% efficient convertor (circuit), Watts = 3.6 volts x 0.5 amps = 1.8 watts. Divided by 1.2 volts (average throughout the discharge life) of a nimh rechargable battery, you're talking 1.5 amps. It's not a problem for the battery, but a problem for the circuit.

Of cos 3.5 volts @ 50ma @ 24 hours = 4.2 AH which IS a big problem for most small size single cell not limited to AA/AAA/CR123. 2x123 or 2xAA would be more likely for scenarios of 24 hrs regulated.

But a Pila 150A.... hmm.. it theoretically has 4.44 WattHr (3.7 volts x 1.2AH, just a rough guide, EE gurus please don't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif me) And therefore it should work.

Did I mention that all the above are based on a 100% efficient calculation? Take away 20% to get roughly the real world calculations.

I guess if you really want to spend the $$$, you can have it all, probably a AA length, 123 thickness EDC? How about the E1.5 body that balrog is making? Mod it a bit for the Arc 4 threads... and you're done.

paulr

Flashaholic
The Arc4+ is pretty close to what you want. If it's too big, try a Firefly with a two level switch with a high resistance for the low level. Both these lights use 123's rather than AA/AAA, so they're a little thicker than an AA light, but can be shorter than a comparable AAA light.

Delta_FHInX

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, CR123A's are a little too thick for me as a keychain light. I am planning to get the ARC5 next year. I like the size of the ARC AAA, but I want longer runtimes.

TheBeam

Enlightened
I'm still waiting for a single D size 5mm AND a D size LS.
I would buy both. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want a dim but ultra-long-running keychain light, just use a coin cell light with a CR2032 running a white LED. Runtime will be in the hundreds of hours.

cy

Flashaholic
The Li14430 fits the bill, but try to get one. Only 11 were made. The last one auctioned off for $425.

paulr

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Delta_FHInX said:
I want all the features I listed.

[/ QUOTE ] How about using two separate lights, a Luxeon-modded Arc AAA plus a 2032-powered Photon II. Redundancy is good.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dream EDC would be an Arc AAA with a Arc AA sized head/reflector for a larger reflector, output adjustment ring and extra electronics. Load an R ranked Luxeon in the puppy and have three settings 10mA, 50mA and 200mA. Make the settings done with a ring rolling on spring loaded bearings and using magnets to signal the processor.
Basically, a MicroIlluminator done Arc style with an output ring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
Something along those lines can be done with current technology (think Surefire U2, Arc4+, MicroIlluminator and Arc AAA all mixed together)
Three major problems creep up. How to get all those R bin Luxeons. How much do you want to pay and and would people outside the CPF buy them?
All I know is, my boss is retiring and she carried around a Mag Solitaire for years (no anidization left) I asked to borrow her keys and put an Arc AAA on her keychain and handed them back. She looked at the Arc AAA said "That is cool!" and turned it on. "Wow! That is bright!" She then looked at the Mag and pitched it in the trash.
Maybe I am being too picky, all I know is she now has her dream EDC and will remember me for decades to come. Then again, she might go on the net to look at Arcs and start buying AAA, AA and Arc4+ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

TheBeam

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
If you want a dim but ultra-long-running keychain light, just use a coin cell light with a CR2032 running a white LED. Runtime will be in the hundreds of hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will not last as looooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggg as a D cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts