Smoking a LEDCorp Pro Series 3

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Has anyone smoked one of these things by putting it in the wrong flashlight yet?

If not, then let me be first.
While performing a live demonstration of the bulbs to a local LED Museum fan this afternoon, somehow my 3v and 4.5v LEDCorp Luxeon bulbs got switched around, and I ended up putting the two cell bulb in a 3 cell Mag. It didn't look any different when I turned it on, but after several seconds, it simply went out. No loud "pop", no flash, no color change, no smoke or foul odor, no crackling or frying noise, and no excess heat.

It would have been nice if I'd gotten a warning that something was wrong, such as the bulb changing color, but nothing out of the ordinary happened.

I threw the flashlight into a box in disgust, muttered something about a toilet, and continued with my demonstration using the 3 cell version.
x.gif

Now I know what $40 whirling down a commode looks like.
frown.gif

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Wow..I'm surprised that thing went out so fast.

I thought they're resistored or maybe even a little fuse in there?

I use my 4.5V pro-series bulb with 4 AA nimh w/o any problems...

I think you could warranty it. I remember talking to John (at Ledcorp) and he said that when they get "blown out" bulbs, they just pop 'em open and replace the fuse....

so the ls itself might still be ok.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
telephony,

I think I read where they're fused internally, but how would you change it? Send it back to Ledcorp?

The 3V probably had no resistor, as Lux only draws 50-75ma from the few I've checked on 2 cells.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by roger:
I use my 4.5V pro-series bulb with 4 AA nimh w/o any problems...
Roger,
I'm glad to hear this. I have been useing a Tec 40 with a krypyon 3D bulb + NiMH's & have been very impressed. I was fixing to get a 3D LED & try it out. Glad to hear it works. TX

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a 3d mag proseries that i purposefully put into my 4d mag for a trial i left it on long enough to check current. About 666mA (eg gad!!)
shocked.gif
I know that lambda runs them at this all the time but he also has huge almost press fit heatsinks on them. I asked john and he told me that they have a resistor but said nothing about a fuse... would probably work ok for small periods of time but im not willing to flush $40 either...

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Txwest, I use the ledcorp bulb in the Tec 40...so it does work fine with 4AA nimh...BUT...you'll have to either get some spacers to customize how the bulb sits with the reflector...or get the beveled reflector (but it will be more of a smooth area light if you don't adjust how the bulb sits).

Just letting you know...

It also does get warm...so I would preferably like to use it in another flashlight, but don't know of any other 4AA aluminum flashlight that small!
Any ideas?

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by roger:
It also does get warm...so I would preferably like to use it in another flashlight, but don't know of any other 4AA aluminum flashlight that small!
Any ideas?
I have the Tec 40 with the faceted reflector, so that shouldn't be a problem. Even if you found 4AA aluminum flashlight, it would still probably have plastic reflector. TX

Plinko

Newly Enlightened
Roger, could you explain how you put a spacer in the Tec 40 to get the PR bro series bulb to behave itself when it comes to beam pattern? I have a PR-2 that I use in a Mag D flashlight that I'd like to put in one of my Princeton 2AA headlamps, but I haven't found a way to get a decent beam with the supplied reflector. Any ideas?

Cheers!

Latest posts