Worlds largest mall is closed due to water damage

Stefan

Enlightened
Top story
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada was hit with a large thunderstorm on Sunday (7/11/2004)that caused mass damage to the area. A freeway that goes through the city is closed too as snow crews are out removing the large volume of hail that fell.

This seems like a close call for me. I happen to live like 10 minutes west of the mall. Although the storm did hit in my area, there doesn't appear to be much damage in my area. I only had like pea sized hail like 3 times yesterday. Other sections of the city had anywhere from golf ball sized to baseball sized hail.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Re: Worlds largest mall is closed due to water dam

Stefan,
Glad you are safe. Seems to me there has been an inordinate amount of large hail this summer. Talked to a friend on the phone yesterday that said he went through a little town in OK this week and it looked like a war zone. He asked a local about it and was told it was hail the size of baseballs and the guy even saw a stone the size of a cantaloupe that went through his buddy's roof. That was through the roof and into the house, not just cracked or broken shingles. Scary stuff.

Stefan

Enlightened
Re: Worlds largest mall is closed due to water dam

A bit of an update. I visited the mall on Monday, the day after the storm. Almost all the shops are open for business. About 4-5 shops near where the flooding started are closed for repairs. 1 shop I saw had its carpetting ripped out, and the one next to it is a music store. I would imagine they sustained the most amount of damage.

Its a little early to say, but the media is estimating the damage in the tens of millions of dollars. (However I'm not sure if thats the total for the mall itself, or for the mall and surrounding houses that were flooded.)