Inova X5 or X0?

Craig720

Enlightened
Which of these lights should I open my wallet for?

I have read uniformly positive reviews about the X5. The reviews of the X0 have also been positive, but with reservations. Sometimes they have been negative because of the X0's lack of sidespill. I read the X5 is outdated, and the X0 is the updated version. But maybe older is better in this case.

How say ye?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
It depends on your intended use. The X5T is a flood light and the XO has a tight beam. The XO is much brighter.

Bagheera

Newly Enlightened
Craig720,

I ordered 2 from Kevin at Batterystation, they have a special going on.

I have owned an X5 and now I have the XO and I love it, for me it has enough side spill, the X5 has a lot more but is unregulated and I found it dropped in light output rather fast, after using it for a few hours, the XO is regulated and should give you around 4 hours constant light output before dropping to Photon 3 (somewhat used) output.
I tested that with batteries that were just about dead and still the XO was producing some usable short range light.

The beam of the XO does it for me, I don't "fall" over some circular rings on the edhge of the beam, I'm not a high tech flashaholic, I just need a dependable light, not to big, that produces enough light for me to shine at least 30 yeards in front of me so that I can see things (I don't need to put them in the sun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

For $39 you can't go wrong, I just placed an followup order of two more XO's at Batterystation, Kevin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif he is a very nice guy to deal with and I had my goods within 5 days in the Netherlands which made me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

powerhungry

Newly Enlightened
Hi havent had an x5 but I have an xo but from what Ive read the xo is much better than the x5. More power and tighter beam, also is very solidly built, could probbably run over it with a truck and still be allright.

StuU

Enlightened
The X5 has a very nice centered flood beam that is very effective for close to medium range illumination. Very nice for most tasks except long range light-ups. The question would be- how important is longer-range lighting for your main usage?

Craig720

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
StuU said:
how important is longer-range lighting for your main usage?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess close to medium range would be appropriate enough. If I really want longer distance -- for instance, to see if the animal approaching from across the parking lot is a cat or a skunk! -- I would fall back on my SureFire E1e.

Craig720

Enlightened
The tighter beam of the X0 has also led many people, from the posts I've read, to stop using the X0 in favor of the X5.

Everyone seems to like the X5, but people seem to either like or dislike the X0.

pc_light

Enlightened
Hi Craig:

I agree with Stu, the two are very different lights, so which is "better" depends on your application. I just ran downstairs to do a quick comparison.

The X5(5x5mm leds), gives a lower light level but broad flood great for illuminating your path and able to illuminate object to an effective distance of about 15-20 feet. Much beyond that and I find it too dim because details can't be readily distinguished. Great light to have in a tent or to walk the dogs. Battery life like the Duracell Bunny.

The XO is a spot light (1x1Watt Luxeon). Capable of lighting objects even 50-100 feet. At 15-20 feet, it will also light your way, a more narrow path but with total illumination. Overkill for walking the dogs but great for spotting that racoon across the field, E1E not needed. Only have the run time of the XO, but 4-hrs for a 1WLuxeon is fantastic.

That's my $0.02. Frankly I find both lights are reasonably priced, as well built flashlights go, and since they serve different functions, in the usual CPF spirit, I say.... get 'em both. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Craig720

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pc_light said:
Frankly I find both lights are reasonably priced, as well built flashlights go, and since they serve different functions, in the usual CPF spirit, I say.... get 'em both.

[/ QUOTE ]

The sign of a true flash-aholic: "Get 'em both." Grin. I very well may end up doing just that.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
As you've seen, they are different animals, but both are tough and well built by Inova. I've always used X5s for general illumination, great flood, great for using old 123s, no worries about banging it around.

The XO is a more peculiar beast, better for throw and much less spill, funny rings and all. For me, it's not as useful as the X5, and of a form factor too large for my liking. There are brighter, smaller 2x123 lights, so I find no place for the X0.

And today, even the X5T is less relevant. I have them so I use them, and they are not expensive (~$30) so they are a good value. But I'd just as soon grab the KL1, or XM-2, or another Luxeon.

daloosh

Craig720

Enlightened
Right now, after reading everyones' replies, and doing some reading up, I think I'll probably go for the X5 and the X1.

The problem I'm running into now is that online vendors are using images of the old X5, the one with the uncomfortable longitudinal groves, when they actually sell the newer X5-T, the one with the comfy longitudinal flats.

And visa-versa. A wee bit confusing to me, the potential buyer.

That has lead me to begin emailing vendors, asking them specifically which model of the X5 they sell. I started this morning with TADGear.com.

stockae92

Enlightened
i got both
for close to mid range, i said X5T
for throw, X0 for sure
different light for different job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NorthernStar

Enlightened
I got the X5,but i am thinking about to buy the XO. At the time when i baught the X5 the XO was not made yet. The XO lights up your way further than the X5 that has more side spill. Without actually trying it self,i would go for the XO.

Northern Star

[ QUOTE ]
Craig720 said:
[ QUOTE ]
StuU said:
how important is longer-range lighting for your main usage?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess close to medium range would be appropriate enough. If I really want longer distance -- for instance, to see if the animal approaching from across the parking lot is a cat or a skunk! -- I would fall back on my SureFire E1e.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting that you'd use an E1e for longer distance. If you want longer distance, I'd recommend an E2e (not an E1e) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As far as the Inova X0 and X5 go, the X5 has a wide flood and not too great for throw. The X0 is just the opposite - very good throw and only marginal flood. The X0 is longer and slightly bigger. It's unbelievably durable. The X5 is more portable and also very tough. If you're trying to choose between the two, you'll first have to determine what you want - flood or throw. I prefer throw over flood, so the X0 is more useful to me, generally speaking.

For the record, I have four X5s, two X0s, and three X1s (all titanium color). Obviously, I'm a big fan of these lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My_Inovas_July_2004.jpg

NorthernStar

Enlightened
That is a fine collection arewethereyetdad !
I just have to ask,why do you have so many of each modell? Are they of different colours of light on each light? Me for myself have one X1 with white light and one X5 with white light,and i am planing to buy one XO with white light. I am just curious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Northern Star

NorthernStar, you asked why so many of each model. The answer is simply that I'm a flashaholic. Can't get enough of the sweet nectar of flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif But another reason is that, yes, I do have a little variance in the color output. One of the X5s is blue. All the other Inovas are white. I really like the Inova body style. My only wish would be for Inova to produce an X5-sized light with X0-sized throw! I'm patiently waiting for THAT product. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

NorthernStar

Enlightened
I am also an flashoholic,so i understand you very well! Do you have the Ultraviolett blue or the Cobolt blue? What is the benefitt of the blue colour?
[ QUOTE ]
My only wish would be for Inova to produce an X5-sized light with X0-sized throw!

[/ QUOTE ]

That is my wish also. The coming T1 has the size of the X5 and the same TIROS optics found on the XO,but accordingly to the data the T1 will have a shorter range. The T1 will light up 150 feet,while the XO light up to 200 feet.I think that the XO´s length is the largest flashlight that i would carry every day. The X5´s length is perfect,yet i want a stronger light beam.

Northern Star

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I had hoped that the X0 would use the X5 form factor, and was sorely disappointed in the larger heft of the X0. But I'm sure Inova's working on that.

daloosh

pc_light

Enlightened
Daloosh:

Ah, that would be the much awaited Inova T1.

From a mod perspective, I wonder if anyone has tried cut down a XO to 1x CR123? That would just about make it X5 in length but not width, and still give probably 1-2 hrs descent light!?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif