Anyone have a SureFire L7 yet?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine arrived today courtesy of Meridian Tactical. Supplied with two B90s and a fast charger, and presented in the new clear-outer-sleeve box, yet still bearing the old gun-sight-crosshairs logo on the CN400 charger cradle and T210 wall-wart power supply. Here next to the mighty M6 and the little (by comparison) L5:

sfm6l7l5sm.jpg

First impressions are that it is a little bigger than I anticipated. Not overly thick around its girth, but it is long. Longer than its grandfather, the original 8X:

sfl78xsm.jpg

Operates in the same way - push the tail button which shoves the B90 battery up until it makes contact with the spring terminals of the KL7 head, or twist the head for constant operation. It lights constantly very quickly after engaging the o-ring, leaving it partially exposed and quick to disengage when unscrewed to the point where "comfortably" switched off. However, screwing the head down tightly for a few minutes to squish the springs up a bit has lessened this sensitivity slightly, and I suspect the more I use it the more it will "break in" so this shouldn`t be a huge problem.

I had heard it described as essentially a rechargeable L5, and indeed that seems to be the case since the beam is very similar indeed, if not as good as identical. Smooth, white and bright as I expected:

sfl7beam.jpg

Compared to my L5 it is a touch brighter and whiter, but within normal white Luxeon-V bin variations, nothing to do with differences in the reflector, etc.

sfl7l5beam.jpg

Is it worth it? Depends really. If you`re used to the 8X/8AX then it would make a great upgrade if the slight extra length isn`t going to be a problem. It has a noticeable heft to it that some LEOs, etc, may prefer. If you`re looking for a rechargeable EDC then the L5 using a Pila/Wolf Eyes lithium rechargeable battery would make a more compact choice, and gives the added bonus of the lockout clickie switch and pocket clip while still offering similar performance.
I kind of like it myself, looks a bit like a light-saber and I have got to love those pure snow white guilt-free lumens it readilly dispenses, but I doubt it`ll replace my Classic 9N as rechargeable EDC just yet. The non-lockout tail button is too sensitive for my liking, and there is only so much those contact springs will break in so it isn`t going to get significantly less sensitive. And that 9N is a tough act to follow too.

Now if they`d make a dual brightness Digital Lumamax Series version of the 9AN......L9 anyone?

wink.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Great write up!

It's fantastic to see some photos of it next to other SureFires.

Have you had a chance to compare runtimes with the L5?

That I'm aware, there will be no LED bezel for the 9AN.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font color="800080">Have you had a chance to compare runtimes with the L5?</font>

Not yet, it just arrived today and I havn`t had much of an opportunity to play with it yet. I`ll run some informal tests soon. Seeing as though it`s rechargeable, I don`t mind just switching it on and basking in the warmth until it drops out of regulation. Somehow it doesn`t seem quite so right to burn up the little red ones in the same way, although I do if I need to. I believe there are a couple of already-established runtime results for the L5 to compare with for the time being. I seem to recall when I wrote my L5 review that the published 65 minutes seemed accurate enough from the results others here were getting.

<font color="800080">That I'm aware, there will be no LED bezel for the 9AN.</font>

Shame. The 9N is probably still my favorite of them all and I had hoped they`d LED it eventually. I did see the proto lamp module with the LED low beam from a few years ago, too bad that one didn`t go anywhere either....

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have an L7 yet. Is it as powerful as an L6? Is it as good or better? I think my L6 is the best SMALL LED I have seen yet. Is the L7 better, brighter? Sure would like to see one in the flesh and shine them together. Doing alot of subjective comparing, the L6 shines further than the Electrolumen TSP but TSP is more of a flood (More total light). I would love to see L4, L5, L6, L7, TSP faced off. Dang I will probably just get one anyway. Looks cool.

How about a U2? how will that compare? Wish they would comeout...

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights LightWar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif