Anybody here into R/C Nitro Monster Trucks?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

It's been a long time since I looked at RC trucks and boy have they changed! 40+ MPH, awesome jumps, can drive in all terrains, they got me interested!

I want to get into it but want to get me a good RC to start with.

Any suggestions?

I am looking to buy the Savage 25 or Traxxas Tmaxx RTR 4WD monster truck but other options are welcome

AlexGT

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old rc10 graphite electric buggy.
It has titanium ball joints and connecting rods regenerative high frequency esc etc. no reverse
It weighs 3.75 pounds with 8.4 volt 1.7 AH
nicad battery.
I timed it on a flying 1/10 mile at k mart with no body shell. maybe it would have hit 50 mph with a body shell improving the aerodynamics.
I timed it twice once in each direction.
46 miles per hour averaged. It runs for about 4 minutes.
It acelerates very quickly.
I would like to get a brushless motor and controler for it.

I have not played with it in a while.
I took it to work and I had it going full speed down the hallway my boss steped out of the breakroom.
the car was headed for him at full speed and I put on the brakes. It still hit him and he fell down.
he almost fired me

but that is not the funniest story.
I took it over to a friends apartment and he wanted to see it go so I put it at the end of his hall way.
Then I floored it towards him. he was wearing sandals and I hit the brakes at the perfect time to make the front bumper to connect perfectly with his big toe. I think it was going at least 20 mph.
It broke his toe in two places and splintered part of the bone.
His foot was in a cast for quite a while.
His mom wanted to sue me.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to be a big R/C guy. Check out the new Traxxas Revo if you like gas powered monster trucks..

--dan

turbodog

Flashaholic
Most of your money will be in the support equipment itself, not the vehicle. So.... try to buy stuff that'll be good for the long haul.

Batteries... decent/solid packs can be had online or on ebay for $25 each or so.

Try to find someone who is getting OUT of the hobby and buy their stuff. You can usually save 2/3 to 1/2 price this way. Sure you'll get some junk or stuff you don't want, but all in all it's a great way to start.

If you're new, or have been away for a while, stay with electric. Gas is a whole other headache/skill set.

In the interest of safety and longevity of the sport, please do NOT drive these things toward people. They can and will break bones quite easily.

Ebay is a good place to start. I routinely check there for equipment (batteries/chargers/radios/speed controls/power supplies/etc).

I have progressed this way:
electric 2wd buggy
electric tunnel hull boat
gas helicopter
electric 2wd truck
electric 2wd buggy
electric 2wd pan car
electric 2wd buggy
electric 4wd buggy
electric 2wd touring car
electric 4wd buggy
gas helicopter
gas hovercraft
gas 2wd truck
electric 4wd car
electric 2wd buggy

Wow... didn't realize it added up to all that.

Fastest thing (other than the heli) was the pan car. Thing would easily hit 60-65. Absolutely a rocket.

Find someone that'll list out their exact equipment list... with the price/purpose/etc for each item. Then make up your own mind.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I watched my first RC race two weeks ago. Gas powered types on a windy track. It was flat out amazing. A computer kept track of the laps and called out standings, laps to go and estimated time to finish line. The drivers stood in a tower. I would guess they were going 50-60 MPH but the most impressive part was the acceleration. They would go from about 10 MPH out of a hair-pin to 50-60 MPH in about 50-60 feet. I don't want to go back and watch, I'm afraid I'd be hooked.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is exactly what happened!, I got hooked on the racetrack, I want Nitro!!!

About entering slowly to the hobby, who entered slow to flashlights? I went from Mug solitaire, to 9P, SFxx and customs after that.

I may even sell a couple of lights to get in to this new hobby. they are cool! maybe some luxeon drivelights for the truck to complement both hobbies.

What would you choose and why?
Savage 25
Tmaxx 2.5

The Revo or LST have not gotten too many reviews, so I don't know how good are they. Probably will wait to september to research my purchase.

Buying used might be a good idea if you don't purchase somebody else's problems. any reputable used dealers, users that you know of?

Thanks!
AlexGT

turbodog

Flashaholic
As far as brand goes.... I would stick with associated or losi. Used.... your local hobby shop may be able to put you in contact with someone wanting to 'get out' and sell all. This stuff costs more than you may think, so a 1/2 to 2/3 savings by buying a used setup can add up into some real money.

Here's some of what I have and my rough guesses at what it goes for new.

4wd electric buggy 300
turbocharger 350
12v power supply 150
toolbox 75
radio control 250
spare motor - cheap 25
spare motor - nice 65
cheap battery 35
good battery 50
awesome battery 95
tires 35
misc wrenches 50
wires and plugs 50
motor dyno 400
chemicals 25
radio receivers 100
soldering stuff 65
misc stuff 150
misc spare parts 100
total 2370 before tax

Save 50% off this, throw away the car, buy a new one, and still save $. Most of your $ is in the equipment, not the car.

unnerv

Enlightened
I just recently got back into it again, and have a Traxxas Revo on order. Hope to get it in the next couple of weeks but from what I have seen this is going to be the truck to get. I currently run a .21 powered T-maxx, an E-Maxx and for indoors I have a Venom Mini Giant. I have a bunch of other cars too that I don't really run that much anymore.

T-Maxx's are great trucks esp for the beginner to nitro. They come with a DVD that shows how to break in the motors and do all the carb tuning. At one time I had three of them at one time. They are great fun and run just about anywhere there is space.

If you would like to see some T-maxx's in action go to http://www.unnerv.com/rc and then download (right click save as if you use IE) tmaxxbig.wmv and rcsunday.wmv. One of the vids is 10mb or so an the other about 7mb.

Have fun and let me know if you have any questions.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want just to bash around in the lawn and maybe take it to the racetrack or park to do some jumps, but no pro racing, yet...

Alex

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
The Revo is insane! Awesome!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I second turbodog's recommendation for Associated or Losi, however Traxxas is pretty good too when it comes to nitro powered stuff. Traxxas had some of the first nitro powered monster trucks (I had one) so they know what they're doing.

Even the early Traxxas I had (can't remember what it was called) was fast! Easily went to 50 MPH, and it weighed at least 7 lbs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif There was a decent amount of energy behind that thing at full speed, as my friend found out when he ran it into a parked car and totaled it (not to mention the near $1K in body damage to the car). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif