U-2 to land in my vicinity! Got questions?

indenial

Enlightened
My local Surefire dealer says that a Surefire rep will be
visiting for a special event this Thursday-July 15-and he will be bringing a U2 proto/sample with him!

I plan to visit sometime Thursday myself. In the event the line isn't too long, do y'all have any questions you want answered?

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
they need to make a U2 the size of an L4. I dont understand why it gods name surefire still makes lights the size of the 6p when the e2e packs the same punch and is much easier to carry. im sure they could make a p61 equivalent for the e2e. sorry to highjack your topic. u2 looks cool i just wish it was smaller

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
glock_nor_cal, I own an E2e, E2D, and E1e, and I love the size of these lights, but please give some credits to the U2 for it's size. It is a bigger bodied light and running at 100 lumens it only meant better heat sinking. Afterall, enough heat sinking would guarantee a longer running Luxeon right? My KL5 does not heat up as fast as the KL4 and even if it does heat up it doesn't get very hot. Regarding the beam, the KL5 definitely out throws the KL4 and the tighter beam definitely brings out more details than the KL4's floody beam.

It is not that I don't want a smaller light, of course I do but I just feel that every light has it's purpose.

nisshin

Enlightened
How about:
- Lumens per level?
- Regulated light?
- Waterproof? To what depth?
- Beam shots vs. L4, L5?
- Replaceable lens?
- Planned accessories?

luxlover

Banned
Thanks for asking Indenial. You may regret posing such an open ended questions to all of us U2 fiends!

> When will the stork deliver it?
> How will each of the six levels be set, when the selection ring under the bezel has no detents, markings, snaps, etchings, or anything that we will be able to feel when we select a light level?
> Any indicators for remaining runtime per setting, as some rumor has it?
> Continuous runtime using the 100 lumen level, broken down to end of regulation point, 50% output point, usable light point, and minimal light point?
> The other four levels beside the low of 2 lumens and the high of 100 lumens?

indenial

Enlightened
Dano, this is occurring at San Jose, California.

Nisshin, luxlover, I'll print the questions and be sure to ask them.

The dealer was vague about the exact hours the Rep would be there, so I can't guarantee I'll meet him or her. I will try, however.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
luxlover said:
...How will each of the six levels be set, when the selection ring under the bezel has no detents, markings, snaps, etchings, or anything that we will be able to feel when we select a light level?...

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone had previously posted that the U2's detents could be felt very distinctly and that the action was probably firm enough to resist inadvertant turning. I can't remember who posted this; maybe Al can confirm this info.

Brightnorm

Size15's

Flashaholic
I did not write this and it is not consistant with what I know of the U2. There are no detents on any of the proto-types/samples I have tried.

I would not expect the rep to have that much detailed information. More of a show rather than a tell.

Al

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
Is the U2 really going to run at 100 lumens with the same LED and same batteries as an L4?
One thing about LED's I've noticed, you cant run the L4 for more then 5 or 10 minutes straight its wayyyy to hot to hold. I wonder if the U2's design addresses that.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Surefire the U2 is going to run at 100 lumens. The bigger size of the U2 on maximum power might take a longer time to heat up just like what I had experienced with my KL5+M2 package because of the bigger body mass.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
The U2 is certainly NOT too "big". I had several lengthy hands-on sessions with one at SHOT when I could pry it away from the many other hands on it.

There are no detents, it turns smoothly and the levels just step up or down depending on direction you turn the ring.

This was a proto and thus the wire loop pocket clip, as well as the non-existent detents, may be exactly that - protos.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
For L5, its bigger size is only to provide longer throw beam pattern and some users might not think its different beam pattern justify its bigger size than L4.

U2 is different beast, its bigger size (similiar size as L5) is not only to provide longer throw beam pattern, it also provides :-

1) dimmer function with excellent implementation - no need to cycle through single switch to get the right brightness, not to mention that it's regulated on all brightness setting.
2) support Pila 168a which has much higher capacity than 168s.

Simply put, its bigger size is not for cosmetic like some SF's other light, it's to provide functions that users really need.

Alan

Size15's

Flashaholic
RR2.jpg

U2_Pitcher_Plant.jpg

In production I understand the clip wire will be black too, and perhaps even removeable altogther.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indenial, thanks for offering to ask our questions for us (if you can get it to them of course!).
Question #1: Why did they opt for the dimmer to be at the front of the light, thus requiring 2 hands to operate? Ideally, the controls should be at the tail for 1-handed operation, even if that means putting all of the electronics at the tail and loading the batteries in backwards.
Question #2: Are they planning any other dimmer-controlled models similar to the U2? Maybe a smaller E2-sized 3W light?

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carl makes a good point about the dimmer in the tail end. Why not a tailcap that twists to dim (ie. potentiometer like) with a momentary/on/off clickie? Possibly the dimmer in the head/front allows for the U2 to be weapon mountable?

indenial

Enlightened
I've printed all of your questions. I'll see what I can find out tomorrow. If I meet the guy and he has brought some for sale, guess who's going home with a new U2?