Surefire L2 or L4

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Would you buy a L2 or L4? They are about the same price right? What are the significant difference between them in terms of the beam? Are they using the same lamp assembly? Why can't I find L2 on surefire's website anyway?

albert

Enlightened
I would buy a L4 and put a McE2s onto it to get quarter inch shorter than L2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Even better if to get a E1E with Z52 and put a McE2s onto it running a McLux PR-BB500-TW0H. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

SF is a little slow in updating their website. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get the L2, the price about the same, and you have a choice of power levels. Size isn't that big of an issue for me, the diameter is roughly the same. It would be great in many situations to have the option of a lower power level. When your eyes are adjusted, 15 lumens is more than enough to walk around in.

The only reason I don't have a L2 is because I already have an A2, and I like the led low beam, and the throw of the high beam. If I remember correctly, PK who has access to whatever Surefire he wants used a green Porcupine (A2 with TID) to explore the caves at Sequioia. Although I must say there were plenty of stray light coming from the X990s Dat2Zip was carrying. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I have both.

The L4 can run on Pilas and it's smaller.

The L2 on low has a 10 hour runtime with a very useable amount of light. My L2 on high seems brighter than either of my L4s doing a ceiling bounce test. Pila batteries will not fit in the L2.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Hoghead said is a fair comparison. I have the L2 and really appreciate how functional it is. It's hard to beat the regulated low beam for 10-12 hours.
I'm not sure why the L2 is not on SF's website yet, though you could learn enough about it by reading the posts and reviews around here. The L2 has different circuitry (two circuit boards) in the body of the flashlight while the L4 has its magic in the bezel.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Here on CPF we have discussed and suggested reasons for why some products do not feature on the SureFire.com website shop until a while after they have been released. I believe it pretty much comes down to the demand from Dealers through pre-orders and order exceeds supply. Therefore there is not enough stock to supply the SureFire.com shop straight away.

Al

McGizmo

Flashaholic
albert,

The difference in length is a bit more than 1/4"; actually, it's about 1.125"

L2-L4-2Scompare.jpg

If someone already has a L4, the McE2S is a good solution for an additional $50.

However, if someone is contemplating an L4 over an L2, then the total price will favor the L2, I believe? The other advantage to the L2 is the dual regulation circuit.

In the McE2S's corner, you have the advantage of shorter length, switching back to Z57 at will, user selectable resistor value (choice of Low level output), and the features available from the guarded utility cap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

SJACKAL

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
leukos said:
What Hoghead said is a fair comparison. I have the L2 and really appreciate how functional it is. It's hard to beat the regulated low beam for 10-12 hours.
I'm not sure why the L2 is not on SF's website yet, though you could learn enough about it by reading the posts and reviews around here. The L2 has different circuitry (two circuit boards) in the body of the flashlight while the L4 has its magic in the bezel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't they have the same bezel? L2 being more versatile, seems to be the popular choice over L4, thought L4 is an inch shorter. Hmmmmm

Thanx!

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, but the L2 uses the head w/o the electronics, having them inserted at the end of the tail instead.
Where can you get McGizmo's stuff?

Erik Johnson

Newly Enlightened
For the L4 there is currently a batch of 1.5 cell length bodies (thread title mentions Pila 150S). I am on the list for one of these. It will run the L4 head in regulation and being a rechargable Li-Ion Pila cell, battery costs will be nil once the investment is made (Pila 150S + charger isn't cheap though). But, you get the benefits of an L4 in a shorter body with a rechargable power source. Also the surefire beam shaper makes the L4's output super smooth, making it a joy to use for local illumination needs (don't expect a lot of throw).

Just another idea.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
SJackel,

Yes, they have the same bezel; that crenelated cap that retains the window on the front of the head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

They do NOT have the same head. It is hard to see in the picture above but the KL4 is about 1/8" longer (rear coupling section) than the L2's head. The L2 doe not host any electronics and has a shorter head as a result. The L2 is a "dumb" head.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
HI Don,

since the L2's head is a dumb head would it be possible for me to add it on to my E2e and direct drive them considering there is no resistor? What would happen if I do that?

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Just another question, how is the bulb life? I remember reading somewhere that due overdriving the lamp, the lifespan had drop significantly? Or can someone point me to that thread? Thanx.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Hey!! Just checked Surefire's website, and the L2 is in the site now! That's fast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
pjandyho,

The L2 is a nice light on 2x123 in DD. Good efficacy too, no doubt! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

SJACKEL,

All of the Luxeon 5W LED's are still considered "Portable" and do not have life expectancies in the range of many 10's of thousands of hours. In a flashlight, it is unlikely that many will use the light enough to see the LED reach its half life mark; that is if the LED isn't being overdriven or subjected to poor thermal management. If I recall correctly, the 5W's have a 1000 hour half life expectancy.

luxlover

Banned
The McE2S is not a good solution for an L4, at all.......IT IS A GREAT SOLUTION....A WORK OF ART, AND A SCIENTIFIC MARVEL!

Thank you Don!

luxlover

Banned
Thank you, SJACKAL. SureFire snuck that puppy in there, when I had my back turned.

Hey look at the ratings. It appears that, on paper on a lumen for lumen basis, the low level will give twice as much runtime as on the high level. This is a good result.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Thanx Don for the info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeah luxlover, it almost seems that the light is made for 15 lumens long runtime but with a high 65 lumens high output capacity if needed. I think of it like car headlights, normal beam for travelling and a high beam readily available when needed.

In fact I couldn't resist the urge and had gotten it. I see it as a very versatile light that can fit many purposes and usage, being Surefire built and HA3, this thing can last. You can use the low beam for normal walking around and easily switch to high beam when you need to "check things out" if needed.

I thought I was impressed with the Longbow Micra's white beam, but the L4's better. It made my Micra's beam look green on 65 lumens, I previously thought I imagined the green on my Micra's beam, coz its hard to notice. But the L4 affirmed the green on a side by side comparision. On 15 lumens it has a bit of yellowish tint. Its the whitest LED light I have now. Very satisfied with it, more satisified than the time I got the Micra. Throw isn't very good however, but thats because the beam's not made for that purpose I guess. Indoor illumination it is on par with the 6P (65 lumens), if not its better because its white light. Outdoors it lost out in throw and penetration compared to the incandescent 6P.