How to Easily Put 3C cells in a 2D MagLite

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just fooling around and dropped 3C cels in my 2D MagLite, and noticed if you pull out the spring, you can screw on the end cap. Hmm....

I also then found that 1" 450psi PVC plummng pipe (5" length) fits inside the mag barrel and the C cells fit into the PVC; no rattle.

I then just cut down an old flashlight spring, and after sanding the inside of the cap, inserted it and screwed on the cap.

Click, flash; there goes the bulb...Insert home made PR Base Luxeon bulb...Click...Light
!

And that's how you can get 4.5V out of a 2D MagLite. Kinda nice, a lot lighter, and power enough for a Luxeon.

Try it, You'll like it......

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
From old post:

Well, after looking at Ledcorp's Luxeon bulb, I went ahead and made mine own, and it works great! Cleaned out the glass from the bulb base, used 4 - 10 Ohm resitors twisted together with heatsrink on them, shoved and epoxy into base. Soldered three copper washers to resistor leads for small heatsink, file top flat, epoxy Luxeon to washers, made connections - it works. Can focus beam and everything (3D MagLight).

By the way, four 10 Ohm resistors (2.5Ohm) isn't enough, as it's drawing about 400ma and getting real hot. After a few minutes it gets ouchy hot. But it's a nice 'concept' toy to play with, and I'll use it to see just how much abuse a Luxeon can take for future reference. Let us know how your mod works out.......