Arc AAA vs ASP Sapphire

chrisojp

Newly Enlightened
I currently have an ASP sapphire led light on my keyring which seems to work ok. My question is, is it worth getting the ARC AAA. Isn't a little bulkier? I'd be interested to hear your opinions.

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF.

Some here say that you're not really a CPFer until you have an ARC AAA. I won't say that, but I will say that it's a light that everyone should have.

I own several and have given several as gifts. I can't think of any gift that I feel better about giving.

The coin cell lights are great - I have some of them and have given some of them as gifts, too, but the ARC is just in a different league. It is, IMO, a must have light.

When you get one, you won't regret buying it; you'll only regret having waited to buy it.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The ASP Sapphire has coin cells that cannot be easily changed by the user when they poop out; they recommend you mail the entire flashlight to them for battery replacement.
The Arc-AAA uses an AAA cell that is easily changed by the user.

JohnnyB

Newly Enlightened
Hi Chris. the ARC is a little smaller than a AA battery. I carry it in my jeans every day to work and I have never once regretted buying it. About once a week, a forget to take it out of my pants and my wife washes it, to no ill effect.

In the dark it is an incredible light. It also performs well at work in "dim" lighting (I'm an Air Traffic Controller)

I'd say get one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Welcome to CPF, chrisojp, and why dontcha stay awhile!

Get the Arc. I really like the ASP lights, but the Arc is more durable and I prefer the round stout form factor over the flat wide ASP, it's more compact and hangs like another key on my keychain.

The Arc is tougher and waterproof and the battery is easily serviced by you. And those AAAs keep on going and going, even if they aren't as brite as when they started.

That said, the ASPs are cooler looking and clip anywhere.

welcome again,
daloosh

avusblue

Enlightened
I own both and like them both. The Arc AAA is all that everyone above says, but one downside of it (I'll be burned at the stake for criticizing the hallowed AAA, I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) is that it's aggressive knurling will scratch up the other stuff in your pockets (knife, phone, whatever). You can wrap it in tape to mitigate that factor. In addition, it doesn't have a "momentary-on" switch, so it requires a bit more fumbling to get quick light. As a result, I've switched over to the Dorcy AAA as my pocket EDC light. I'ts physically a bit bigger, but still slips unnoticed in your pocket. And at under $6 bucks at your friendly neighborhood Wal-Mart, you shouldn't just buy one, you should buy a fistfull.

All this said, I still think you oughta have an ArcAAA, it's just part of being a flashaholic.

Cheers, and welcome,

Dave

Deanster

Enlightened
I love the shape of the ASP lights, and how light they are. I bought about 6, and hung them on coats, bags, keyrings and various other items for use out and about. In less than six months, every single one of them was out of service, mostly because the little clip at the end had broken off, or the light had completely broken into a dozen pieces, scattered across the road. (it's really embarrasing having to ask for a light to find the pieces of your flashlight which has just spontaneously disintegrated - never did find the LED from that one).

Anyway, after killing $75 in ASP lights, I tossed them into an envelope for warranty replacement, but never got around to sending it in.

Just for reference, none of this was in hard-use conditions - mostly going back and forth to my Master's degree location in my car - the many rigors of a school bag, keys and coat that went from closet to car to classroom and back.

For another $70, I bought three ArcAAA's, and an Inova MicroLight and they've all now survived almost two years with no ill effects.

The ASP design is remarkably fragile - I used to love it, but now can't be bothered to send in the envelope to get six free new ones. I literally won't take one for free.

ArcAAA is the hands-down winner for function - it's amazing how much more willing I am to actually USE a light that has an easily-replacable battery. That said, my Inova Microlight lives on my keychain, because I really like the smaller size, and if my keys get any bulkier, they won't fit into my pockets any more.

JohnnyGalaga

Newly Enlightened
Don't count out the ARC AA. It's a little bit bulkier, but you get TWICE the battery runtime. I have one and it is excellent.

StuU

Enlightened
The ArcAAA and ArcAA both far outrank the ASP in functionality and quality.

I have taken apart and repaired as ASP and it is just cheap plastic and nearly impossible to get back together. No way you could change the batteries in it. The clip is the main positive feature of this light but otherwise it's not much. Just my opinion.