Blackout last night

bigcozy

Enlightened
Power went off last night in a localized area at 2:50am. CPFers dream, a long blackout. Lessons learned: Have lots of glowsheet around! My beside the bed light is an E2e, way too much light when your eyes are already night adjusted! I walked around looking for a LED, found my Arc AAA because I had some glowsheet taped to it. Also had glowtape on my scanner, so I could find it and flip it on to see what happened. After the chemical plant explosion in my town, I have gotten a little jumpy. I have a some glowsheet about the size of a playing card taped up in my bathroom. One blast with the E2e and it glowed well enough for an hour that I could see to do whatever I needed to in there. After a few hours, I noticed a halo around me, it was my Luminox. If I had to, I could have gotten around with it alone. When ambient light is gone, it is incredible how little light you need.

Glowsheet works and you should tape it to everything you might need. Also keep some in sheet form, blast it with a high powered light and it will glow for hours. Scanners are pretty handy too, now that you never know what could happen in terms of disasters. Had some light sticks too, but didn't need them, LED's make a lot of things obsolete.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
We lost power at work just after dusk last night. After 3-4 minutes I hear, "Dave, your on" from down the hall. I was already using an L4 to get my "emergency" light pack out of my desk. I soon headed down the hall sporting a Surefire L4, Pelican L1, ARC LS, and several Countycomm key chain lights. Did I mention I had all the lights burning as I walked down the hall? I forgot until just now I also have a 6P and two more key chain lights on lanyards on a shelf in my office, how did I overlook pulling those out?

Lesson learned: It's imperative a good flashaholic know where all his/her lights are in the event he/she get a chance to show them off in a dark building or home. Our chance to shine doesn't come all that often so we must be prepared.

lightshow

Newly Enlightened
We had a citywide blackout two days ago around 2pm. Apparently, 2 of the 3 main generators for a nearby powerplant went out due to people using too much electricty for their air conditioners. I was on the pitch-dark top floor of my building when the power went out. I had my fingers ready to twist on my EDC Arc AAA when, guess what, the emergency generators turned on the emergency lights. Needless to say, I was pretty upset. As it turns out, my boss had gotten stuck in the elevator and everyone on my floor got sent home with full pay for the day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

paulr

Flashaholic
Jeez, if the power went out here at 2:50 pm, I'd almost certainly be asleep and not notice.

kubolaw

Enlightened
Last night around 2am I'm startled out of sleep by my UPS's beeping and chirping. Blackout! I first grab my Mag1499 and do a quick sweep of the house. Then I go to turn off the computers and switch off the UPS's, but the Mag is waaay to bright, so I grab my TW4 and bounce the beam off the underside of the desk. Perfect! I try to go back to sleep, but I'm still sort of awake so I decide to do some reading. Out comes the TW4, but it's too bright. I go to grab one of my ARC AAAs, when I notice my VIP standing by. Pick up the VIP, switch it to medium, and *ouch* eyeball overload. But then I switch it to low, and everything is great. Read for about an hour, and go back to sleep.

In retrospect, I realize that I might have been able to perform all of the above with the VIP (although it was nice to have the blast of light from the Mag during the initial walkthrough). And this might be heresy, but I think the medium setting could even be lowered - it's amazing how my perception of light levels changes from lighted conditions (e.g., during the day) to pitch black conditions (e.g., during a nighttime blackout).

John

capnal

Enlightened
bigcozy,
After reading your post here, I ordered a roll of 1" wide glow tape. I will be using it to cut into small pieces, just as you described. It was fairly expensive, but I didn't bother shopping for price, because I was ordering some other things from the same vendor.
Anyway, this was a great suggestion, and thanks for the input! I will play with the stuff for a week or so and post again with updates.

Thanks again.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Two old men were sitting by the pool at a Florida resort. The first explains that he retired after his business burned down, and that the insurance settlement was more than he could have made by selling his business.

The second explained that he too retired after a flood wiped out his business. His insurance settlement was TWICE what his business was worth. The first man is silent for a second, looked around and quietly asked "How do you start a flood?"

So, DeiselDave and BigCozy.... How do you start a blackout /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel