Another "Newbie with a few Stoopid questions"

Abbey_Lad

Newly Enlightened
Another \"Newbie with a few Stoopid questions\"

Another "Newbie with a few Stoopid questions"

I'm very new to the world of Flashlights/Torches and wish to explore it further, hence joining this forum to discover more.

My current EDC:
Photon III (white LED)
Maglite 2AA
ARC-AAA

First of all I'll have to say I love my Arc, it's by far my best purchase. It also throws into sharp relief how "Not so Top" the other two are.

The Mag 2AA, was my old favourite and I'll keep it no matter. I'd love to either mod it with the new Opalec Led conversion but it's the old model so no go.

The last the Photon III is my biggest disappointment, initial I was impressed ( loved the dim mode and SOS feature). What I was less impressed with was the ease at which it turned on in my pocket. A few accidental activations and I've now got a Dead Photon. I'm also not motivated to change the batteries.

Question 1 for the Forum.
As I said I like my Mag and would like to know from this learned forum what options I have to improve it.
The main use of the Torch is back-up, relatively long throw, tough (been in brief case on site and elsewhere and still going strong)and quite bright with good batteries.

I'm open to alternative suggestions. I was thinking along the lines of a Surefire Nitrolon or similar.

Question 2
I would like to equip my lites with rechargable batteries. What would be the best suggestions for AAA and AA.

The Photon will either be binned or replaced by a Photon Freedom, however I'm tempted to replace it completly with a CMG Infinity Ultra so that I've only two battery type requirements.

I welcome any and all comments positive and negative.

"I need to explore my options".

B@rt

Flashaholic
Re: Another \"Newbie with a few Stoopid questions\"

Hi Abbey_Lad,
welcome.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

About improving your Mag, try a sandwich from Dat2zip... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprized! Also, order a Kroll tail switch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The Arc works fine with NiMh batts, and so will your converted MM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ( The MM will even run better on them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Have fun browsing the forums, and one advice: you should contact your fellow Frenchman Frenchyled , he will be able to tell you a lot... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Au revoir!

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Abbey Lad,

I will echo B@rts Welcome to CPF.

In my humble opinion, I would leave your Mini Mag just the way it is - for now. Get another one and play with modifying it. This will give you a basis for comparison and will keep the nostalgic memories of you original light in place. I should warn you that once you start using a modified Mini Mag, it is hard to go back to the old one. The improvement is drastic.

You will find a lot of information on batteries in the battery section. A lot of people are using NiMh cells because of their higher capacity, but if you are into abusing them, NiCd seem to be more robust. Lithium Ion cells are also a good choice, but they don't fit some lights.

Good luck, have fun, and hang on to your wallet.

Tom

Darell

Flashaholic

Whoo hoo! We've got another live one on the line! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Welcome Lad!

Great advice from the others. Adding a Surefire G2 to your collection would be a great way to start movin' on up. You'll be astonished at what the G2 is capable of in comparison to your MiniMag. Wait until you see what a *real* beam looks like. The end of getting lost in the rings is near....

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welcome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As Darell has said, the G2 is a great way to start on Surefire lights. I totally love the amount of light mine puts out, esp next to a Mag! I am sure you will not regret that purchase...

For your 2AA Mag, as Bart mentioned, you can go with the sandwiches, else there's also a couple of other 'mods' apart from the Opalec. There's the Tek-Tite LT1 or the Terralux MiniStar2 which will both make your MiniMag look great!

Else another fun and cheap light to start with is also the Streamlight TwinTask series of lights, which have both an Incandescent bulb (for throw) and Leds (for flood). The 2L seems to be the favourite here in terms of size and runtime. Hope you find a new 'toy' soon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Oh, and don't let FrenchyLed show you his collection, you'll go broke in no time I can guarantee you that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Abbey_Lad

Newly Enlightened

Thank you all for your comments.

I like the advice about keeping the old mag then getting and moding a new one. The mods suggested so far are very exciting, I naively believed the Opalec was the only mod available for the mag. I see I've still lots to learn and here is where I'll learn it.

Keep your suggestions coming I'm rapidly becoming addicted.

"I'll have to explore my options"

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

Welcome to CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

I recommend you get a Sandwich and a NewBeam to go with your Surefire G2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

While you're at The Sandwich Shoppe you should pick up some Mineral Glass lens and Kroll switches for your Sandwich and NewBeam. You might as well get all the bells and whistles.

You can also get Brinkmann Nextstar replacement lamps for your MiniMag. These are the brightest bulbs for your minimag.

Abbey_Lad

Newly Enlightened

Stanley

Thanks for the comments. As a start in the world of torches/flashlights I like your suggestion for the Twin Task light. I would have liked one with 2AA's as I feel 3AA's is just abit too long.