Thinking about getting a Luxeon-got ?'s

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking about getting a Luxeon-got ?\'s

Been thinking about getting a 1 or 3 watt to add to the collection and to use at work. Want to get one that runs on common alks to keep costs down. I currentlt use a SF G2 at work and was thinking of using the Luxeon instead, but that's another thread altogether. My interest is peaked right now due to lowered costs of new lights, compared to when I first joined CPF.

So here we go. Rather than quoting actual lux, lumen, and CP ratings, I am thinking about how the throw and brightness will compare to, lets say, shmag lights of 2-3-and 4 cells.
Have been looking at the SL JR 1 watt, but am wondering about the Terra Lux upgrade for the mini shmag. Looking at the Terra Lux site, I do not see an actual runtime estimate or output rating. Can anyone fill me in. Am looking at lower costs as opposed to some mini drop in's out there, so lets keep options to the SL Jr. price range. How will the beams compare to incandescents?

Also how much more performance can I expect from a 3 watt? Will run time be less? And how does the brightness compare to above mentioned shmag comparison? What would be benifits/downfalls of either choice?

I am not expecting to be able to replace performance of the SF G2, but like I said, am looking at a small, comfortable to carry lighting option that wil last longer on a set of batteries and be able to give me the brightness better than the mini shmag or my SL 4AA-7led, or be comparable to a 2 D cell.
Will any products/options give me the performance of a 3-4 cell? Am doubting it but tought I'd ask.

Ok all, I think thats enough for now, will sit back and wait.
[is that better?]

Niko

Newly Enlightened
Re: Thinking about getting a Luxeon-got ?\'s

The pdf of the TerraLux MiniStar2 can be found here and that has the runtime and light intensity graph on the top right. And what about an everled for a drop in replacement bulb?

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
webley445 said:
I am not expecting to be able to replace performance of the SF G2, but like I said, am looking at a small, comfortable to carry lighting option that wil last longer on a set of batteries and be able to give me the brightness better than the mini shmag or my SL 4AA-7led, or be comparable to a 2 D cell.
Will any products/options give me the performance of a 3-4 cell? Am doubting it but tought I'd ask.

Ok all, I think thats enough for now, will sit back and wait for the circus to begin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying that you need throw? I say this because you are saying that the SL 4AA 7led isn't enough, and I'd say that it works great for most up close applications. What exactly do you use it for? Perhaps a Strion would be your best option.

Oh, and you ask for help and then insult people by calling them a circus? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Mark

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and you ask for help and then insult people

[/ QUOTE ]

No insult was intended.

I have been a member here for awhile and would not still be here if I felt the sentiment assumed to be exhibited.

I will be the one to take the blame though. I will say perhaps it was a poor choice of words to use and it was not meant to be taken as such. I have edited the original post to delete the comment. I apologize if anyone felt offended. I can see how it could be taken the wrong way.
This is NOT how I feel and NOT what I meant.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

webley ya avator is huge in file size ya may want to shink it

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

Like I said, something comparable to the performance from a 2 D would be nice. If a 1 watt will do this I will be happy.
I do a lot of walking and the actual 2 D is too bulky and heavy for my liking, which is why I use the G2.

I guess throw is a factor. When its really dark any light will do, a Photon will suffice in a dark house, but I will be both indoors and out. What kind of throw does the Terra Lux and similar drop ins give? Same as the stock mini shmag or SL Jr.? If so, it would suffice I suppose. What about the 3 watt units out there?

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,

IMHO if you're talking about a TerraLux for the Mini Mug, you would be happier with a MMLite/1w HD from dat2zip. What really helps with the throw is to use the SO17XA reflector or a modified mini mag reflector instead of the supplied optic. There are tons of threads about modding the reflector. I THINK this setup would be subjectively about half as bright as your SureFire G2. Battery life is several hours and they're inexpensive and easily obtainable AA's. The TerraLux is more of a flood setup and doesn't throw much al all. The throw on the TerraLux can be improved greatly by swapping the original side emitting Luxeon for a high dome. But that's added cost and you have to do it yourself. Clearly would void any warranty. It still isn't nearly as bright as the Mad Max Light I mentioned earlier.

If you're looking for a bigger light, the Elektrolumens Blaster JR comes to mind. Pretty useful little thing. Also the Elektrolumens FT-3C is a lot of bang for the buck.
IMHO

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast

Webley...as far as throw is concerned, the Terralux won't throw as far as a stock MM, but the overall output is MUCH better, and much whiter. IMHO, the Terralux is worth every penny of the cost. Run time (...if I'm not mistaken) is about 5 hours on a set of alkaline AA's. With the SL Jr. Luxeon, I think run-time is about an hour and a half with alkalines, and about 2 hours with NiMh. The Jr. seems to be getting some good reviews, so it might be worth a look. One of Dat2zip's sandwiches would probably be brighter than the Jr. or the TerraLux, and have better throw...but it's price range is a little higher than them (around the $50 range). Also, an EverLED is another option, and you can use it with anywhere from 2 to 6 cells, so you'd have a whole smorgassboard of host options! IMHO, for most general purpose lighting needs, luxeons beat incandescents hands down!

PJD

cannon50

Newly Enlightened

Can't help you much on most of your questions but as to the 3 watt luxeons runtime compared to 1 watt lights running in a regulated configuration I have a little experience. My T-lux3 running in my MM W/O T-lux3 goes a little longer than my BB 400 Q3 with 2 aa nimh. Over 2 hrs. It may be that it has a lower Vf and this makes a difference. I recently ran this test because I wanted to get an idea of safe runtime to spare my bats. of damage. I have heard that you don't want to run rechargables dry.