UGH! Houston to Baton Rouge and Back...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
In the "Beast" (1990 F350 un-turbo 7.3 diesel and 4 speed + lockup auto.

Some of I-10 is even WORSE than 59N!!!

My dashboard does the heebeegeebees on rough roads and throws everything off the dash. The steering wheel gives me EVERY bump.

I am exhausted. For my trouble of picking up two pressure washers and one top opening cabinet parts washer, we get to "keep" one of the PWs... Of course we still have to pay the factory for it (though we may get a discount).

I don't know how it can happen. But I just GOT to get a newer and smoother truck. My buddies '01 D250 Cummins is SO far superior in ride and comfort!

I also had a lot more time to think about things. I am LONELY! Of course I have the love of my Dad and Sister... but I am lonely for more. My situation is such that there ain't hardly a damn thing I can do about it. But it's getting achey in my heart.

All in all, a banner day to be me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Guy at work flew to the center of humidity (Houston) yesterday AM to buy a 79 C-10 step side with a 454. After several hours of repairs he drove back to Pensacola, (4 hours east of Baton Rouge). He got home at 3:30 this morning. He was actually in Sugarland, but same-same. Yall may have passed on the road.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I drove back from San Antonio to Baton Rouge yesterday. Spent some time at the Bass Pro in Katy and the Central Market and Collectors Firearms in Houston. It was long but not a bad drive. I was in a 97 Chevy C1500 extended cab with the Vortec V6 and crept up towards 25 mpg for the most of the run. I10 between Beaumont and Orange seemed to be the worst stretch to me.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
That's three!

Sounds like we may need "Flashaholic" front vanity plates so we can wave and then blind each other when we pass on the interstate?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I've almost certainly described the "beast" well enough by now for any CPFer to recognize it! I guess I really MUST post a picture of it...

Yeah, Beaumont to Orange (both ways) is pretty bad with seams that hammer hypnotically. But over in LA there is some mighty crappy pavement on parts of I-10, and remarkably smooth on others.

I am going to try and make a brace to secure my wild dashboard.

But I'm actually more keyed up on the lonely part of yesterday over the bumpy rough part.

T'was a banner day to be me!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Had diggity damm!

I was trying to figure out where to put a brace, and when I pulled the face off the radio/climate control area I saw cracks all over that area.

I found that placing a piece of 2x4 against the floor first and then twisting it up under where the ashtray is has made a HECK of a difference!

To help just a bit more, I dropped my front tires from 70psi cold to 65psi slightly warm as I just did them. I used to run them as low as 45psi and only had bad wear (never blew one up there).

You can't imagine how having the dash more solid enhances the whole driving experience!

Today is actually a reasonably good day to be me afterall....

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I drove 9 hours straight in my little S10, manual transmission, no cruise control, no carpet, no ac. That was quite a long drive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Eugene,

Back in the day (early 80's really) I was driving a Datsun regular cab short bed pickup, with floor mats and vinyl seats.

The engine made very little compression. It was slower than grass grows.

It never failed to get me anywhere.

The Beast doesn't have world class AC. It does have carpeting, and cloth to sit on. Making it rattle MUCH less, and ride a smidgen smoother (and approx. 7psi made it hunt a little less going down the highway)...

Has been a REVELATION!

I will probably go to Kansas City to get a trailer mounted gas engine machine before long and I almost look forward to it now!