multi-color pic programming for led

B@rt

Flashaholic
Have you ever seen a led doing a color-wash ? I've seen analog schemes to accomplish that, but I know there is a way of programming a pic to do the same.
Anybody out there who has done that and wants to share it, or at least give me some clues ?
Thanks ,
Bart

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

I had built a microprocessor controlled
led driver for a two color led a while back.
It used the famous Z80 Zilog microprocessor
chip mainly because they are so cheap.
Of course you need supporting chips and
a pc board. The programming consists of
pulsing the two colors using a PWM scheme.
Three colors would be the same just with
one more output channel. The program runs
in an endless timed loop.

What exactly did you want to do yourself?

--Al

bikeNomad

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlackBart:
Have you ever seen a led doing a color-wash ? I've seen analog schemes to accomplish that, but I know there is a way of programming a pic to do the same.
Anybody out there who has done that and wants to share it, or at least give me some clues ?
Thanks ,
Bart
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The PIC is nice because its output ports can sink quite a bit of current. If you parallel a couple of them, you should be able to drive >30mA easily (they're rated at 25mA).

If you use a PWM technique, you can drive the pins fast enough (>100Hz) that the eye won't see the flicker.

Figuring (say) 100Hz, if you want 7 bits (>1%) resolution on your brightness steps, you can use one of the internal timers to interrupt at a 100*128 Hz (12.8Khz) rate. This still gives a 78 usec period. Especially if you use a clock faster than 4MHz (1 instruction/usec), this should give plenty of time to get into and out of the interrupt, increment timers, and change I/O pin states if necessary.

Or, alternatively, the PWM could be your main loop (saving the interrupt entry/exit time).

The timer could fire the color-changing routine in an interrupt handler. If this routine takes too long, though, you'll see an unevenness in the lamp brightness.

B@rt

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>What exactly did you want to do yourself? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nothing much yet, just was curious about the way it works, but it seems I'll need to do some more reading to be able to fully understand it...
rolleyes.gif