Best 3D m@g mod...for a newbie

Domine

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I found this site a few weeks ago and I am stuck on it now! Let me tell ya, this stuff is like, err, having a SERIOUS chemical dependency. I already spent too much time on the beige box, but now my wife can't get me off it!
Anyway, I think I wanna try out a mod on one of the 3D cell m*g lites that I have lying around. What I want to know is which mod is good for a relative newbie and what would be involved. As far as my skills go, I can solder pretty well, and I have a basic knowledge of electronics. Please, by all means suggest away. I appreciate your time and attention.

Oh, and thanx! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Domine

Newly Enlightened
Oh, one other thing...I want it to be bright, but with "decent" battery life (i.e.-2-3 hrs.). Not picky on the battery type, but nuthin' too exotic...

litho123

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!

I'm not into the LED mods...yet. I'm still playing with incandescent bulbs.

One bulb I really like in the M@g 3D is the Carley 809 bulb. I have it running on two stacks of 4.5x123 (each stack = (4) 3v lithium 123 batts plus (1) 1.5v lithium AA batt). The light output is over 200 lumens with an estimated runtime of over 2 hours.

Because of the heat generated, I have also replaced the polycarbonate lens and reflector with a UCL lens fromflashlightlens.com and a modded aluminum reflector from Carley.

All in all, a great light with a long runtime in the range you are looking for.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on how bright you need and how long you will leave it on, here is simple way: get a NiMH battery stick for M*g charger and choose one of 5 volts long life (over 100 hours) bulb from Welch Allyn potted in PR base.