Prohibited Item at Dem Convention -- Flashlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidTHR

Enlightened
Why are FLASHLIGHTS a PROHIBITED item (in reference to SECURITY concerns) at the upcoming convention?

Any ideas?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Here is the link:

http://www.dems2004.org/site/pp.asp?c=luI2LaPYG&b=99034

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
I dunno, you could still get an Arc AAA or Photon III in. They're not going to take people's Mag Solitares off their keychains ;-)

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
They don't want light being shed on anything...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mark

lightbox

Newly Enlightened
Re: Prohibited Item at Dem Convention -- Flashligh

I'm guessing they're worried about Mags filled with explosives or anthrax.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

or trace quantities of mercury still present in cheaper alkaline cells...

Empath

Flashaholic

It looks like their concern is for security and distraction producing items. Flashlights could be used to distract. It does look like you can receive approval; probably based on what kind of light it is.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I'm not surprised. Security will be tighter than ever. Our enemies have sworn to disrupt the election process.
oldgrandpajack

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

Because a terrorist could just disrupt your power line so a flashlight would allow them to do what they want, plant bombs, abduct hostage, and whatever and get out fast.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

Politicians must be genetically related to the cockroach they scurry away when a bright light hits them and they are extremely difficult to eradicate once they have infested an area. I suspect this is the reason for the flashlight ban at a convention, the speakers would constantly be using the duck and hide manuever and we would not get the whole story so much as the condensed version convieniently omitting points that might bring the light back up to illuminate their position. I really wonder what our political system would look like if we could have a vote of no confidence and remove them from their lairs with no recounts for them to modify to retain their posts.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

The Cockroach comment might be the closest...

But if terrorists could use light when the power went out, why the HE77 can't the "normal" people??? ("normal" folk, though at the Democratic Convention I doubt there would be many!, could concievably stop the terrorists!).

Those who would sacrifice Freedom for Security deserve neither!!!!

83Venture

Enlightened

It's a sad day when Americans have been reduced to fearing flashlights. How the mighty have fallen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

I can't believe my ears!

WE ARE AT WAR!!!

The enemy is cunning and determined. They are willing to die, in order to accomplish their acts of terror.

The electoral process is the very heart of what America stands for! Doesn't matter what side of the aisle you stand on.

The security forces in our country have an impossible task, as the terrorists can pick and choose, the time and place.

Give the pro's a break. If Security wants to keep flashlights out of the convention, then so be it! Don't even question it! They have an impossible task.

oldgrandpajack

DavidTHR

Enlightened

Like they say...

"If Flashlights Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws Will Have Flashlights !"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Same on the airlines, they gave me a hard time when I was bringing my rechargable on board. There has to be some reason, whether it's sane or not is another story.

LEDSmith

Newly Enlightened
Tightened security at the Dem Convention, What do Democrats have to fear of terrorists?

A strong case can be made that they have been indirectly aiding and abetting them through political correctness, lax borders ect. The terrorists want the democrats in power do they not.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Back in 1998 or 1999, there was a presidential candidate speaking at the Westlake mall here in downtown Seattle.
The lights and stereo on my electric wheelchair definitely drew the attention of security personnel, and I had to demonstrate the lights AND the stereo in front of them; apparently they thought the speakers on the seatback were bombs, and I had to prove otherwise. Popping an Anthrax cassette in the stereo and blasting it out of the speakers was proof enough for them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Reno

Enlightened
lol @ Craig!

Bring The Noise!!

You guys have been modding these things long enough to know just how easy it is to engineer 'something else' into them. The Tigerlight already incorporates a built-in surprise...

It's much simpler and easier just to confiscate them and hold them until the event is finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.