darn linux problem

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok im installing yoper linux. install simple as pie. well it didnt have mplayer so i download mplayers a gui and the fonts i put gui in corect directory as i did fonts then i do a ./configure --enable-gui comand that went smooth. then a course i run the make comand and then make install. but when ever i use the gui to play a divx movie the screen wigs out i cant see whats its saying but it apears to say something about a mixer.any iddeas? btw it works find if i just run the mplayer comand but it hates when i use a gui. i tryied diff guis btw

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ya will like it there are many distros i think gentoo and yoper are the fastest.mandranke and fedora are the easiest other then knopix and its knockoffs

was_jlh

Enlightened
Hey raggie, I don't use yoper, but you might try searching the forums on justlinux.com. Just did a quick search and found several threads related to mplayer gui probs. If you haven't already, you might also try xine, I find myself using it more than mplayer lately.

LukeK

Enlightened
I'm with Joe. Use Xine. Mplayer is a fine player, but the fact that virtually any codec changes require a recompile is a turn-off for me.

Raggie -- did you compile Mplayer with the libavcodec package of codecs (aka FFMpeg)?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
eek maybe ill just download the new redhat what ever they call it now feora i belive

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie33,

Can't help you with Yoper Linux or your divx player. Could be the player itself, video card (or shared video memory if no physical card is installed), various config settings.

But if you (or anyone else) wants to dabble in Linux without the commitment, try one of the Live CD distributions. Knoppix and Mepis come to mind, they are both Debian based and Live CD's. This means you go download them (both large downloads) or buy a cd for really cheap.

Once you have a viable cd, simply place it into your cd-rom (hopefully it's a bootable cd-rom) and reboot your machine. The install is a no-brainer, basically they do everything without you having to do much more than watch. Since they are Live CD's, nothing gets installed onto your hard drive. Though they do have the option of actually loading onto your hard drive if so desired, but the default is to NOT load anything onto your hard drive. Anyway, it gets loaded into memory (ramdisk). The more memory your computer has, the better things will run.

Knoppix has a nice little (easy to use) utility that allows you to save your configuration settings, like e-mail, Internet connect, favorites, etc to a floppy disk. Which you can use the next time you boot into Knoppix. Unfortunately, Mepis does not.

If they don't work out, simply remove the cd and reboot your computer. Your computer will boot up as normal with whatever operating system you happen to have on your hard drive.

http://www.knoppix.net/
http://www.mepis.org/

Mike