Prefered photon management for 5W?

sidespill

Enlightened
Seems like a lot of reflectors and optics have hit the scene recently. Anyone care to share some of their favorite set ups? I've been contemplating getting a mcapsule but I can't see building one with another single die capsule. I got lucky with the lux lottery with my micra so it seems redundant. Please post pics of your set ups if possible. And if you do then of course since you are capable of posting pics post the obligatory beamshots.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
IMS reflectors seem to be well-regarded for all flavors of luxeon - especially high-dome emitters.

5W luxeons will probably always feature the "5W donut" in the beam because of the 4 die package and large emitting surface area.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire Turbohead, especially the older T series. You get a donut hole (more of a cross shape really), but it dissappears after a metre or so.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
this is a 5W with a Fraen LP optic:

arc5w_jets22_beam.jpg

square beam with artifacts, but pretty wide and useful as opposed to the narrow "cone of light" with the Fraen/HD combo.

bernhard

Kiessling

Flashaholic
you can also use the IMS so17xa, this will be a real flood light with a good beam with a donut hole ...

... or the PR for a medium flood with a very good beam quality and only minor artifacts:

x3t750_pel_new.jpg

hotspot of a 5W in PR underexposed

And then of course, there is the KL4, KL5 and KL6 for cool photon managment with a 5W ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif ...

bernhard

sidespill

Enlightened
I did a KL4 circuit/KL1host/SO1X reflector/on an E2e body not bad. My 5W is a bit yellow though. I'll be getting an E1e any day now can't wait to see if it will light on one cell.