Surefire expert advice sought

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a new (old) shotgun arriving this week that I want to add a light to.
Surefire no longer manufactures a dedicated weapon light for this model. I am considering getting one of the M3 lights as I could use PILA cells. Mounting is not a problem. The problem is I want a tape switch, and in the 2004 cataloge the M4 is the only light that is listed as using a tape switch.
Does anyone have the seperate weapon light catalog? does surefire make tape switches for 6v/9v/12v lights seperatly ?

Does anyone have a reccomendation for a light besides the Insight M3 or Tac Star. A tightly focused beam with more than 80-90 lumens is a must.

Size15's

Flashaholic
There are loads of switch options for the standard body SureFire which includes the M3. You are three options in HA to match the M3.

SUxx
UMxx
XMxx

where xx is the cable length in inches.

I'm looking for photos for you.

The UM is like an SU apart from the cable can be disconnected from the UM.

This is the UMxx, SW02 and XM05:
SureFire%20XM%20&%20UM%20&%20SW02%20TailCaps%202.jpg

And another photo of the UM and XM with the cable disconnected:
SureFire%20XM%20&%20UM%20TailCaps.jpg

Of course, the Classic (Black Anodised) WeaponLight TailCaps fit the standard body (M3).
SureFire%20G2%20with%20Z32%20&%20Tape%20switch%2064.jpg

SureFire have a whole host of Classic WeaponLight switch options - I can explain them if you like?

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic
The disadvantage of using the UM or SU is that they are thicker walled then a standard LOTC. The XM fits better.
TailCap%20Tape%20Pressure%20Switches%201.jpg

The SU TailCap is shown in this photo (source: AR15.com member CJan_NH)
Surefire1.JPG

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, so in the short run I could even use my G2 with G2Z bezel and a cable switch tail cap. I figure the ability of the G2 nitrolon to flex a bit under recoil might give it a small measure of shock isolation.
Right now I use PILA and 3.7 v lamp, I could even go with a P61 and batteries. Do the tail caps provide or maintain the lock out function ? This is important for storage and transport.

Barring that I could use my Z3 with PILA's and either a P90 or P91, just add a black tail switch.
I guess monday is the day to call SF and get the weapon light cataloge sent to me.

BrightFlashlites

Newly Enlightened
Cosidering this is for a shotgun I highly recommend getting either a Z32 or M2 shock isolated bezel to help reduce the risk of recoil related failure. If this is for a pump shotgun then you may want to get a curly cord (expandable) tape switch and the only solution there is a TacStar assy.

The t.sw. assy. will not lockout. Have you thought about how you intend to mount the setup?

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
You definately want the M2 or Z32 bezel.

I think Surefire sells a battery stick for use with weapon lights. It's two, and or, three 123A batteries with spacers (plastic washers) and shrink wrapped, if I remember right.

I might be wrong on this, but I think Surefire weapon lights have a ridge that prevents the batteries from slamming into the back of the lamp assembly, in recoil. I'm not sure on this one.

Al, need help on the weapon lights.

oldgrandpajack

BrightFlashlites

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
oldgrandpajack said:
I might be wrong on this, but I think Surefire weapon lights have a ridge that prevents the batteries from slamming into the back of the lamp assembly, in recoil. I'm not sure on this one.

Al, need help on the weapon lights.

oldgrandpajack

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the true weaponslights will have battery isolation which keeps the batteries from slamming into the lamp assy. However, you will be looking at over $100 to go that route. The battery sticks are certainly more crucial on a shotgun or high recoil weapon but if he's NOT going to be using a weaponsgrade light then there is little to no benefit of adding a battery stick.

Dsc00334.jpg

Notice the middle component, it's an L36 assy. which consist of a Z32, P60 lamp & then another component which the Z32 threads on to and captures the lamp. As you can see there is ridge which won't allow the batteries to recoil into the lamp. That feature is built into all the weaponsgrade lights excluding the alternate designs such as M500, 900, P & M series handgun systems or the X200 series.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The SF223AC and SF323AC shock isolated battery sticks are designed for dedicated WeaponLights to maximise reliability and durability under heavy or long-term recoil.
Like BrightFlashlites says, they are not magic to make up for not isolating the lamp using a WeaponLight Lamp Module.

Al

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The shotgun in question is a semi auto. I have a pump with a PILA GL3R on it and a curly chord.

Mounting is NOT an issue. I have multiple options that suit my needs and are rock solid and designed for this model of Shotgun and a 1" tube light.

I would prefer a 9v system in the hopes that I could use PILA 150S batteries.

I am only considering a shock isolated system, My personal feelings are that the Surefire stick batteries are better suited to a true tactical team style of situation. In my situation the shotgun will be carried a whole lot more than shot, I will of course test the system before carrying it on duty.

I am leaning towards either a UM or XM switch along with an M3.

My second choice is one of the laser devices 9v operators with a pressure switch/kill switch. I know the operator series does not have quite as nice a beam as Surefire but the light is also still HA III. Surefire has a better warranty and the ability to use a HOLA. I will not be ordering it with an ARMS mount as I want the ability to use the light as a hand held should I so desire and if Luxions get better in the next year.

BrightFlashlites

Newly Enlightened
And to further complicate things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif... there are even more options -

lights069.jpg

lights067.jpg

M3weapons1.jpg

Above is the LM90 module which gives you the latest & greatest Millennuim features. It's of course weaponsgrade so it has the shock isolation & battery retention.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif been e mailing you a bit today. Whatever I din Surefire, I'll be contacting you.
I am leaning towards the LM 90 set up with a cable/paddle