Any real cyan led lights out there?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is, the color they were before Nichia made them all look traffic light green? Is the Nightcutter green a cyan led or green? Any true cyan luxes?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The only true cyan Luxeon I'm aware of came in my Positron Laser, a 5W Luxeon in a SureFire C2 body that came as a modification that I received in very late 2002.
I don't know whether or not you can get true cyan Luxeons these days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I've seen pics of ARC AAA beams back when nichias were true cyan. I've got an ARC AAA that is cyan but heavily bent to the green side. Not the color you are talking about. Compared to my green LightWave 2000 you can see the blue in the ARC. I've got a painful EL modded 5 watter that is cyan (lots of blue) but still not quite that blue turquoise color I think you are talking about.

Attrib. Andrew Davidhazy

prism-DSCN5016.jpg

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just saw Craig's post and review. My 5W Cyan uses a PMR and looks like the greenest part of the center of the Positron's hotspot. Obviously a very different LED.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
True "cyan", or turquoise, LED flashlights do exist, but they seem to be pretty rare now.

Don "McGizmo" McLeish was nice enough to mod some Surefire E1e`s for me several years ago. They have true cyan-color 1W LED`s...and create beautiful beams of turquoise light.

Hopefully true cyan LED`s can still be found...at least by the modders who work their magic on the CPF.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an old photon II that had a true cyan color. That's the last I've seen of "real" cyan. I've never seen an LS that color.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, everyone. Any others with info? Jeez, I thought this was going to be easy. No one has a secret cyan stash, eh?

red_robby

Enlightened
i got a real torquise Low Dome LS a couple of years ago from
inretech, it was on a cyan AA adapter. i loved the color, i ended up taking it off the bi-pin PCB board and using it in another mod.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Here's the runtime plot of the MadMax Cyan that I had. It had a very pale blue-green color to the light. It was so bright that the reflected light hurt my eyes, so I finally sold it. You might check and see if they have anymore MadMax Cyans in stock or would be willing to make up one for you..

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Phaserburn said:
That is, the color they were before Nichia made them all look traffic light green? Is the Nightcutter green a cyan led or green? Any true cyan luxes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Emphasis mine.

The LEDs in GREEN Nightcutter heads are 525 nm.

(RED Nightcutter LEDs are 626 nm)

EDIT: I started a thread last night asking about the wavelengths of colored Infinities.

Can anyone tell me what types of real world tasks a true CYAN light might make easier?

*Retired*
Well, if you could define the color, I might have one I could part with. They are 1W luxeons, and is not green, and are on the extreme boarder between blue and green bin fringes. Sorry, don't know if they are HD or LD at the moment. I'd have to call them a light sky blue.

red_robby

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:
Well, if you could define the color, I might have one I could part with. They are 1W luxeons, and is not green, and are on the extreme boarder between blue and green bin fringes. Sorry, don't know if they are HD or LD at the moment. I'd have to call them a light sky blue.

[/ QUOTE ]
NewBie,
if Phaserburn dosn't want it, i do...

AbnerCadaver

Banned
My Everled is true cyan. By that I mean the dominant wavelength is 505 nm according to my cheap Edmund Scientific field spectrometer(diffraction grating type). I don't know if mine is their run-of-the-mill or the exception to the rule everled, but if they are now a rarity, then I must be lucky. Bought it about a year ago from LED Supply. It's definitely more blue than green to the eye, that's for certain.

Abbie

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I tried to use my Edmund Scientific spectroscope to check my Positron Laser, and I could not get a truly accurate reading. But according to the spectroscope, it does emit a peak wavelength below 500nm. So my 495nm guess is probably pretty close.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
cyan_se_in_e_head_spot.jpg

Is it this cyan we are talking about or is there something more cyan which is not yet blue?
This one is a 1W Cyan SE BB500 in Exe-Bezel made by McGizmo himself. I sold it some time ago.

bernhard

cannon50

Newly Enlightened
Kiessling, yours looks like the 1 watt luxeon I have in my MM sandwich I got from the Shoppe a year or so ago. I heard they were uncommon at the time. I don't use it much but wouldn't part with it. A word to the Sandwich Shoppe might be productive for Phaserburn.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed. The cyan I'm talking about is that light blue with a greenish tint. The Arc AAA used to come in this color. I may have some investigating to do tomorrow.

Newbie, would you be able to post a pic of the shade that closest matches? It's a pain, I know. I've bought a few lights with all sellers telling me they were the color I was seeking, only to find traffic light green! What is the exact wavelength I and others are describing?

As for uses; none, really. I have always just found it to be the most dazzling light color I've seen. And, apparently, the hardest to come by.

Ralf

Enlightened
I have an cyan LS HD lying around. For my eyes
it looks almost like "real" cyan.

But I am wondering what to do with it? I mean for
blue or deep blue there is the "CSI" playing stuff,
but what else other than cool looking is cyan for?

Cheers
Ralf

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only real use per se is that you'll get more lumens from the cyan as it is the brightest of the colors. In other words, a similar binned cyan emitter will always be brighter than a white one.