I, Robot

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
That movie was freakin awesome! It's my favorite of the year so far. It was far better than my expectations since the trailer made it sound corny. I even think I spotted a few Surefires in there too.

Size15's

Flashaholic
It was a book [of short stories] written by Isaac Asimov.

I can't wait to see the movie. His stories are amazing. I hope that the movie can honour him.

Al

brightnorm

Flashaholic
His "3 laws of Robotics" is so simple and brilliant. perhaps it will be programmed into robots of the future.

Brightnorm

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
AL, I read the reviews. It won't honor him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Bill

14C

Enlightened
The stories are great.

I have not seen the movie but I have read the reviews andam already disapointed.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The movie is based on the short stories only in title...

I'm curious about the Batman Begins movie trailer...Was it shown before I, Robot?

--dan

UK Owl

Enlightened
Isaac Asimov was a sci-fi author from the 1950's and 1960's. His work is well in advance of anything else at the time, and is still well worth reading.

He not only wrote short stories, but also full length novels, and series of novels (such as the federation & empire series). The laws of robotics pop up in several novels as well as the short stories.

Personally I think the best short story of his (nothing to do with robots though) has to be nightfall one; this is a scenario where a flashlight would really have been useful!

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Asimov was also a fantastic non-fiction writer as well. He has several books about astronomy that do a wonderful job of explaining complex ideas of astronomy and physics that a layperson can understand, and that even a well seasoned, knowledgable person can enjoy. In particular are "Of time, Space, And other things", "Asimov on Astronomy", and "The Universe: From Flat Earth to Quasar". Go check 'em out.

UK Owl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
evan9162 said:
Asimov was also a fantastic non-fiction writer as well. He has several books about astronomy that do a wonderful job of explaining complex ideas of astronomy and physics that a layperson can understand, and that even a well seasoned, knowledgable person can enjoy. In particular are "Of time, Space, And other things", "Asimov on Astronomy", and "The Universe: From Flat Earth to Quasar". Go check 'em out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info, as I never knew he did non-fiction.

I will have to look out for some of the titles you mentioned.

The only problem is that I find it difficult to get his books. They are nigh on impossible to get new, and only ever seem to turn up in boot sales and charity shops, and then not frequently enough!

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Dr Isaac Asimov is my favorite author, having discovered his science fiction when I was about 13 years old. He wrote over a thousand books and stories, the last
was in progress when he died in the late 1990s. I never read the last page to his last story, just so there will always be a bit more Asimov to read. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I just re-read the book "I, Robot". It has held up well despite the 50 years that have passed since it was written. It's a collection of 6 or 7 short stories centered around robots, their interaction with humans and the funny ways that simple rules can be bent. A few things (like the military being unwilling to waste $100,000 worth of robots) were clearly out of date. The writing and entertainment were still strong.

The movie trailers that I've seen clearly indicate that the movie is loosely based on the Asimov concept, but not on any of the stories directly.

I'm going to see it anyway. It looks like it may be a good film.

Daniel

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yes, plenty of the concepts "science fiction" when the stories were written have become fact and other we have taken another route altogether so are still fiction although we have different technology. This gives his books amazing endurance for not dating. The money is what really gives it away though. I tend to add at least 3 zeros to bring it up to date when I'm reading.

I remember reading a story of his about a mining robot that has "wireless" control over smaller robots.

It's a real shame we have not advanced as fast as his books 'predicted', but then perhaps we have and we just aren't told?

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Prolepsis

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FNinjaP90 said:
That movie was freakin awesome! It's my favorite of the year so far. It was far better than my expectations since the trailer made it sound corny. I even think I spotted a few Surefires in there too.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just liked the P90s in the movie, didn't ya? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Movie was entertaining. You'd think they'd have much cooler lights by 2035, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
Was that a SF 8ax or 9x Will Smith uses when he goes looking around the robot storage facility (dark place with piles and piles of containers near the ruined bridge)? That's the scene where he sees the NS-5's destroying the older robots.