Everled in MagC mod????

davidra

Enlightened
Anyone have an idea of what an Everled (specifically either white or red) would do in a Mag2c/3X123 mod????

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would quite possibly burn out. I believe the Everled only has an input range of up to 9V. You might get better results from 2 C cells.

harel

Newly Enlightened
The everled has a voltage range of 1.5v-9v, so 3x123A (=9v) should be fine.
But you won't get much improvement, the everled reaches peak output at about 3 cells (4.5v)

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know why you'd bother using expensive 123s with an EverLED. It's whole claim to fame is how well it works and how long it lasts on alkalines. If this is truely a "mod", you might as well get a hotlips and a 3 watt Luxeon, it would be about the same cost as an everled, only much brighter.

davidra

Enlightened
Unforunately my skills as a modder consist of cutting the right length of the PVC pipe and buying the right bulb at Radio Shack..so the Everled seemed reasonable for someone with negligible fine motor skills....I'm betting a hotlips and 3 W luxeon requires some actual mechanical skills....

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,
I'm always looking for Mag mods that I can handle. You might want to check out Craig's review of the DIAMOND LED BULB REPLACEMENT. It's a 3 watt, as opposed to the Everled 1 watt, and it's a hot direct drive, as opposed to the Everled's built in regulation. It will still retain the stock Mag's ability to focus. Those three factors should add up to a fairly impressive mod. Cool colors, too. (It also comes in red) I've almost bought this one in green or white many times. With fresh batts and a tight focus there should be considerable WOW factor in any of the colors.

It's also nice because you can always reverse the procedure and end up back with a stock Mag if you find another mod you want further on downstream.

Sub

ledlurker

Enlightened
I concur the Diamond Lux III in a mag 3c is a tight little usefull package but it does use a resistor since the current is limited to less than 800 ma. A direct drive on 3 cell can run anywhere from 1000 ma up to 1700 ma depending on the forward voltage of the led. If you get a K forward voltage like (TVOK) I would reccomend at least a 0.25 ohm resistor to be on the safe side if you have no meter to check the current. Anything above like L or M will drive safely on 3 cells. Some people here have driven a J forward voltage with no resistance just fine but I like to keep my current around 1.4 amps or lower.

illumiGeek

Enlightened
On 3 fresh 123 cells you would be pushing a little past the upper limit of the EverLED and might damage it (fresh cells can put out 3.2-3.3v per cell).

However, folks around here are always looking for a light to use up their "spent" 123 cells after they don't have enough juice to run the high powered lights. I have been using a 2C/3x123 modded Mag with an EverLED for just this purpose. It works quite well. I sputtered the stock reflector for a cleaner beam, and did the usual 3x123 mod (PEX pipe, Duct Tape and a shortened spring). Runs nice and bright off of cells that are dim and orange in my PM6.

Aloha, iG

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
illumiGeek said:
On 3 fresh 123 cells you would be pushing a little past the upper limit of the EverLED and might damage it (fresh cells can put out 3.2-3.3v per cell).

However, folks around here are always looking for a light to use up their "spent" 123 cells after they don't have enough juice to run the high powered lights. I have been using a 2C/3x123 modded Mag with an EverLED for just this purpose. It works quite well. I sputtered the stock reflector for a cleaner beam, and did the usual 3x123 mod (PEX pipe, Duct Tape and a shortened spring). Runs nice and bright off of cells that are dim and orange in my PM6.

Aloha, iG

[/ QUOTE ]

not to change your mind but my epeion 2 cell in my Mag 2C is 10x better than the everled in the Mag 2C..... wells that's my opinion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
coachbigdog said:
What is an EPEION? Lux bulb?Where can it be bought.Did a google search and only thing that came up was cpf!

[/ QUOTE ]

i probably spelled it wrong but go to ledcorp.com brightguy has the 2 cell version on sale right now for $23. it's a luxeon(high dome) based pr bulb

Latest posts