Which 123a powered Flashlight is best ?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello All,

It has been a few days( couple of weeks rather)... the LED's were glowing in my mind.... I had thought of modifying a AA Flashlight using 2 123a Cells. So i Purchased em.... and only to find out that they dont fit in .... later on... i used an AA Cell with a Switching Circuit.. solved that problem....

BUT... I still have those 123a's .... reading many post's by now... came to know that 123a's very popular here....

I want to use em up... and since i dont have any other device that uses these cells..... I plan to buy a Flashlight.. that uses Single 123a Cell....

So my question is... since there are so many flashlights... which one is best ?

here are my constrains
1) It should be small, easy to handle and carry
2) It may or may not have Luxeon light...
3) It should be Cost Efficient (quality * Cost)
4) Longer Runtimes are preffered.

Thanks in Advance,
ViReN

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
May I suggest the Tek-tite Splashlite then? Runs a 1x123 cell, direct drive so it should suck the battery pretty dry. Mighty bright for its size, if I may say so myself, and runtime should be around 7 hours +- according to a runtime plot by Roy which he tested the same LED bulb with 2xAAAs. Best thing, they're pretty cheap, I got mine at Batterystation, Kevin's great to deal with! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

You might consider the Nightcutter Sport Light. They can be had with different head configurations and you may swap out the heads for different tasks. It is easy on batteries, using 5mm LEDs. Your choice of 3 or 5 LED heads in WHITE and GREEN. The overall quality and design surprised me. The fit and finish is far better than I expected for under $30 USD. It's quite small, even for a (2) 123 cell light. It is a twisty that is very easy to operate with one hand.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello JonSidneyB,

I want to use it as a general purpose light and i can spend a max of $50 to $60 .. and can go up to $100 but CERTAINLY not above it ...

Luxeon or LED's dont matter as long as the output is good enough... and the runtimes are good too...

2 123a's can also do .. however preference is to 1 123a

Thanks in Advance
ViReN

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey guys....

i am sorry to say that.... and this is just for your knowledge...

Stanley .. please dont get offended, as probably, even you might not know about it... and i dont mean any offence here ...

http://www.batterystation.com/splashlite.htm site has a backdoor trojan installed ...

Source: C:\Documents and Settings\I\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\IPO7IXYF\splash-lite[1].jpg

go here for more information http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/cgi-bin/virauto.cgi?vid=39604

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, it's true. (of course, I had to be curious and see for myself.. and get hit! Bright red Norton Antivirus warning, but thankfully no harm, no foul - NAV stopped it before it did any real damage.)

http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/js.scob.trojan.html

The Scob trojan is a nasty one indeed. I've PM'ed him to let him know about the situation.

Anyway, on to my main reply.

Maglite 2C sleeved for 3x123 running a Hotlips and a 5W W-bin Luxeon...... fear the power! It's easy to carry, if you don't mean pocketable.

"There is NO WAY that can be a Mag" .. nope it ain't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually, if you are into SERIOUS runtime, you might want to give the Surefire G2 or 6P a shot, with the KL3 LED conversion bezel. If you hunt around, you can find the 6P at $50, and the KL3 at maybe $55-$60. It's a shade over your budget, but that's why I specifically mentioned the G2, which is $30. That'll fit in your budget nicely, it remains pocketable, there's a Luxeon 1W under the hood, and even though they don't say it fits the G2, I believe someone here on CPF has tried and taken pics to prove it.

According to surefire.com:
Runtime: 19 lumens max output for 4.25 hours, followed by 4.75 hours of moderate output, followed by over 50 hours of minimum output

I think nowadays the thing puts out a little more than 19 lumens. I have a KL1 that's rated for 15 lumens, but to my eyes, I feel that it's at least 20-25 lumens. It's half as bright as my 6P.

And, of course, you can enjoy the modular Surefire system. Need a long running LED light? Put the KL3 bezel onto the 6P/G2 body. Need 65 lumens of throw from the incandescent? Put the original bezel back on. Need 120 lumens of eye-scorching power? Switch the lamp to the P61 high output (recommended that you use the 6P if you forsee yourself using the P61 a lot).

batterystation

Enlightened
Note- This problem on the page was being caused by the American Express banner for some reason and has been replaced. It should work fine now and not give you any such messages. Sorry for the error. There was no virus on our server.
Kevin

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery Station ... Thanks ... Hope you were not offended in any way... my aim was just to notify...

About Main Reply

I Am shortening down my selection to this...
--It should have 1-123A
--It should be pocketable (small)
--Runtime should be more than 1.5 Hrs
--Multiple LED's or 1 W Luxeon
Some thing similar to http://www.peakledsolutions.net/hcr123.html the McKinley Hi-Power Collection

OTOH ... is this McKinley Good enough ? Price also seems to be good ... can we compare this with any ones that has a luxeon's ? (i know it would be BRIGHT) .. but still ....

THanks & Regards,
ViReN

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Viren, no offense taken at all, heck, I should be thanking you instead!! Thanks for letting us know, glad to hear also that Kevin's (batterystation) got it worked out too...

As for your light, maybe a Longbow Micra then, since you mentioned Luxeons only... From what I've read here, lots of ppl are very happy with it!

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which 123a powrd Flashlight ? Update....

Hey an Update....

I have finally gone in for as a 1 CR123 http://www.peakledsolutions.net/hcr123.html the McKinley Hi-Power Collection & The output is really good.... not very bright as a luxeon might be.. but serves my purpose for the time being....

In Next few months... I will be going in for Various Flashlights and currently Still in dilema.. for selecting a proper mod / upgrade for my MiniM@g there are sooo many options for it... it just is making more confused.... dont know when i will settle down with some thing that is good enough & has a good battery life... next to come in my list are Streamlight Jr...Inova X0 And the collection will go on ... and may be my signatures would have that list started ... and it seems endless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-ViReN

-ViReN