Which LS / Optics combination serves best ...

Ralf

Enlightened
... most of the time?

After tried LS lowdome and NX05, lowdome and McFlood, highdome
and Fraen LP I still use the LS LD with NX05 most of the time.

I quite like my newly modded ARC LS1 with LUXIII (@400mA) and Fraen for outside use, but if i could have only one LS1 light, I would
choose "the old" combination.

What do you think?

Cheers
Ralf

W4DIZ

Enlightened
The LSL with nxo5 is also one of my most used lights.90% of the time I don't need throw.This combo is hard to beat.I also have a modded ARC with LuxIII and Fraen.It is nice and bright but I find that the beam is too bright and tight for most tasks.

cy

Flashaholic
The original first run (#1-100 Arc LS w/stock NX-01 optics, puts out a tight round beam.

firefly w/tuned turned down NX-05 optics puts out almost the same quality beam pattern. (almost perfect round beam w/no hint of square die, great throw)

I've been tuning optics lately by moving the focal point forward & backwards to find the best results.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've become less and less interested in a non-reflector based light. The optics just don't hold their own over a good reflector. As a matter of fact, the Jets22 BlackBird and DSpeck FF-II will have probably been the last optics-based lights that I'll ever purchase.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should try the Arc LS with the IMS 17mm reflector. I'm pretty sure you won't go back to using optics.

luxlover

Banned
Good advice Billson, and I will add a UCL glass lens for a "better view!"

The LSH is so versatile. ARC should realize this, and keep it going, "forever."

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ralf,

wasn´t that a 0,1 Ohm part for ~ 500ma we put in there ?

Klaus

Ralf

Enlightened
@Klaus,
I am not shure about the formula of the ARC LS circuit, we put an 0.18Ohm in parallel to the existing 0.15Ohm ...

@Billson
My IMS Reflector arrived last week, but I haven't had the
time to mod my ARC LS again ... and just wondering what
will happen to this awful amount of rings inside my ARC,
but will give the reflector a try ...
Do I need to turn down the IMS to fit inside?

Cheers Ralf

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Ralf said:
@Klaus,

I am not shure about the formula of the ARC LS circuit, we put an 0.18Ohm in parallel to the existing 0.15Ohm ...

Cheers Ralf

[/ QUOTE ]

Ralf,

the formula is 50 / R = I - we modded one to 0.1 and added the 0.18 to yours then - soory for the mixup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

0.15 and 0.18 in parallel : 1/.15 + 1/.18 = 1/x so x=0.08181818...

50 / 0.081818.. = 611ma to the LED then for yours IMO

Klaus

Ralf

Enlightened
@klaus

thx for the update :)

I think pyro popped in a IMS reflector, but I can't
remember, if it is straight forward ...

cheers
Ralf

Ralf

Enlightened
While looking CSI I modded my ARC LS now with
the IMS 17mm reflector. Awesome beam, but still
for the 80% use in and around the house I think
LD/NX05 is very good.

But I love my "new" ARC LS and it will go EDC me
now more often. I think as well ARC should keep
the LS, because its one of the best modding platforms
to get :)

Cheers
Ralf

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I've tried the IMS 17 reflector, the Big Bulhead, and the Fraen LP in my VIP, and I keep going back to the Fraen. The Fraen puts out a wide beam with little or no side spill, but that bright solid beam covers a lot of area outside, and is good for close up work. The Fraen beam is ugly compared to the IMS 17mm, and Big Bulkhead, but it sure puts out a huge spot. I will report later on the BBH.

Bill

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you mean the plastic rings between the individual parts, you won't need them anymore because the reflector is smaller in diameter and the rings would serve no purpose other than to rattle around in there.

I removed the skirt on the 17mm reflector till only the cone remained so I could use the retaining ring for the stock optic to hold the reflector in place against the lens.

The fraen does have more throw but it's a PITA to center the beam.

For the experienced modders, what is the simplest way to center the fraen in the LS?

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Bullzeyebill said:
I've tried the IMS 17 reflector, the Big Bulhead, and the Fraen LP in my VIP, and I keep going back to the Fraen. The Fraen puts out a wide beam with little or no side spill, but that bright solid beam covers a lot of area outside, and is good for close up work. The Fraen beam is ugly compared to the IMS 17mm, and Big Bulkhead, but it sure puts out a huge spot. I will report later on the BBH.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Fraen LP gives one of my most favorite and useful beam profiles. A wide, bright hotspot works great for both medium and close range. Add an acrylite lens and the square gets rounded out a bit, and a little more spill appears (the degree to which both occur depends on what degree of diffusion you choose). Also, there is usually only a slightly noticable decrease in throw, unless you choose high diffusion and have a fairly narrow optic.

What always seems to be missing in these optics vs. reflector discussions is what optics are like with a little diffusion. Without it, they should properly be compared only to unstipled reflectors (i.e. stipling is to reflectors what acrylite is to optics). If more people used acrylite, I bet optics would get a lot more positive comments.

Ralf

Enlightened
@Lux Luthor,

what do you mean with "acrylite"? Is this a mod
to NX05 or Fraen Optic?

@Billson
I used the small Plasik rings to "center" the reflector ...
But maybe there are another size at my LS1 because it
is an hybrid LS1 ...

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Acrylite is a material originally developed for picture frames, which Otokoyama cuts and sells as flashlight replacement lenses.

Read about it here