PT Matrix 2 @ $25.97. (hot deal or not)?

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, good deal based on the review at flashlightreviews.com

im actually hoping to take advantage of this deal for myself...........if i can get my Black Diamond Moonlight sold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
markdi said:
so did any one get a Matrix 2
what do you think of it ?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i got mine. i think im gonna like it alot. it's pretty nice. decent hotspot/throw and a good amount of spill as well.

im gonna like it even better when i get a LOOOOOONGG burn LED option for it, maybe a PR-based 5mm led bulb or the original PT Matrix LED module.

browntown

Newly Enlightened
can you use lithium AA's in this? It doesnt seem to be regulated, so I think the regulating effect of lithiums would be helpful. Why cant anyone make a lithium happy performance LED headlamp with regulation?

browntown

Newly Enlightened
do the extra leds on the yukon HL justify the price difference. Seems like everyone likes the yukon HL, but it may come in darn near twice the cost of the matrix2 at this price.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is a 1 watt luxeon led
how are you going to put a pr based anything in it
the matrix2 looks a lot lighter than the yukon HL
and a lot less funky

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Matrix 2 Luxeon is actually a PR based bulb converted to a Luxeon, thus the ability to interchange btwn the bulbs straight out. It does look a lot lighter than the HL, and I like the fact that it doesn't have the separate battery pack too. According to Doug's Flashlightreviews site, the Matrix 2 is not regulated. I guess regulated would make it extra nice too...

SidewindR

Newly Enlightened
I have that light it's amazing i payed $34 or so a year ago
beautiful sunlight white, still the best LED 1 watter i've ever gotten, brightness included
aa feature is nice, been using Lithium for months now
no problem

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
SidewindR, how would you rate the throw on th Matrix2? Does it have a fairly decent throw while maintaining some sidespill? Would you say it has better throw than a LSH for example?

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
browntown said:
crap, start looking around and now I'm hot for the corona. Maybe I just need to buy both, thats the cpf mantra anyways isnt it?
Princeton Tec Corona, in between price wise the Matrix2 and the Yukon HL

[/ QUOTE ]

i played around wih the corona at a local backpacking/hiking supply store and it seems kinda redundant with the modes..... they should have at least incorporated some different color leds.

the way it is now seems kinda overkill, then again i usually think that anything more than 2 brightness levels can be overkill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
browntown said:
can you use lithium AA's in this? It doesnt seem to be regulated, so I think the regulating effect of lithiums would be helpful. Why cant anyone make a lithium happy performance LED headlamp with regulation?

[/ QUOTE ]

i called PT and they said no. but there is a backpacking gear outfitter online that had a long-term review/test of the matrix 2 and they clearly state that they've been using lithiums with great results. i'll try and find the site..........

browntown

Newly Enlightened
thx 4X4, i'm ordering the matrix 2 now. As much as I want to wait for the new to be released PT Z3 It's probably going to be a couple times more expensive at launch, and I want a headlamp now. I'll let you fellas know what I think about it when I get it.

edit: came to $31.92 after shipping, not too bad I suppose. Starting getting the itch to spend the $100 for the free shipping, but had to talk myself out of it.

NamTinker

Newly Enlightened
Stanley
I have the Arc LS, PT Matrix and Matrix 2. The old PM module is not interchangeable with the PTM2. The throw of the PM2 is quite a bit longer than the LS I own, but not really more practical. The Arc beam quality and area coverage is better. If you want to do a quick mod, take the original PTM module with the halogen bulb and replace the halogen with a EverLed or similar.