Class 2: "Spare Ribs" Bike Light System

marklein

Newly Enlightened
Class 2: \"Spare Ribs\" Bike Light System

Taking a break from my usual lurking, I present the Spare Ribs 13 watt LED bike light system!

on-bike.jpg

Two seperate 5 watt stars powered by 4 D cells in a water bottle and a FatMan driver from George, plus a seperate shorter 3 watt helmet mounted light powered by a Badboy 750 and 4 C cells. Water resistant, they'd probably be waterproof to a few feet if I just gob a little silicon near the seams. Personally I don't ride in the rain so I didn't bother.

parts.jpg

The heat sinks are 1" aluminum rod carved into ribs with a hack saw (boy are my arms big now!). All held together with generous amounts of AA and bolted together for added shock resistance. The lights themselves are light weight, weighing less than just one of the C cells used to power the helmet light. Other bike guys in the audience can appreciate that. The Fatman is epoxyed to the back of one unit, and a toggle switch on the other controls them both. Off-One-Both.
The helmet light can also be mounted to straps for use as a basic headlamp, which I'll probably use a lot more often.

Runtime is right about 2 hours, no heat issues. The light is GREAT! They're right up there with the best halogen lights I've seen but with a better runtime and weight (less batteries per hour means less weight). Obviously can't beat those spiffy new HID lights except in price.

Special thanks to georges80, andrewwynn, gwbaltzell, Elektrolumens, and Doug Owen who helped greatly weather they realize it or not!

Back to lurk mode. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

evanlocc

Enlightened
Re: Class 2: \"Spare Ribs\" Bike Light System

beam shot missing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nexro

Enlightened

Very modern looking lights you got there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I am sure with heatsinks of that size, there will be no heat problems at all... even if it does, you probably just need to add a small fan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SJACKAL

Enlightened

This is cool! Beamshots and pic of that bike with the lights on?

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like your 'spare ribs'. Very nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Can you show us the Fatman housing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

And yes... a picture of your bike with the lights on too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

marklein

Newly Enlightened

The Fatman "housing" doesn't exist at the moment. I plan on just covering it with epoxy but I haven't decided if I want to put in a dimmer or not. Once I make that decision I'll cover it and that will be that!

I forgot to take a beam shot before lending them out for freinds to test, but I think I have a "on" pic I'll check when I get home tonight.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was browsing the 'class two' to see the final entries, imagine my surprise to see the heatsink that turned out exactly like i expected, not sure if was even you who i made the 3d model to describe 'how i'd do it'... wow can't imagine doing that by hand, yikes... although i did cut 88 slots in 2 pieces of aluminum once so know that burning foerarm feeling..

wonderful creation... i dunno the rules of if i can vote for my own or not, maybe i hope not, might just have to vote for spare ribs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-awr

memory refresher:

heatsinks.jpg

an 'aside' but this pigeon shield i designed and built was the 'forearm buster' to which i referred.. built to keep pigeons.. and their offending 'output' and disease off my client's porch and table... works flawlessly.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast

looks awsome.... reminds me of this robot movie sometime ago.. the robot kind of looks like your light

danielo_d

Enlightened

Number 5 is alive!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif
Sorry about that...

Awesome Job!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

jasong

Newly Enlightened

What kind of light output comparison can you make with your system? Preferably to that achievable with off the shelf MR16 bulbs, ie. 5W, 10W, 20W?

Thanks,

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

How hot does this get in-use, i am very curious how well the heat sink works.. the light must be incredible with 2 120lumen lights.. what optic are you using? if you had reflectors vs optics i think you'd get more light, can't tell for sure if you have which.. neat to see somebody post to this thread and bring it current.