TerraLUX MiniSTAR2

mapet

Newly Enlightened
I have just acquired mministar2. I am satisfied with it but I think that 25 lumen output they state is inflated. I compared the output to Inova X5 and to Q2 arc clone. Terralux appears to have total output equal to arc running at 200ma or 1.5 times the Inova. So the total output is more or less 10-15 lumen not 25. Am I unlucky with lux lottery or is it normal?

Niko

Newly Enlightened
Yeah that seems to be the results I'm having with mine. I measured the output current to be between 230mA to 240mA, which means they are under driving the Luxeon I so you won't get the typical Lumens output which TerraLUX is advertising. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's very close to what I measured as well, just a hair over 300mA.

Not only that, you have to factor in the fact that it's a boost converter and thus it's drawing more amperage. I measured it by unscrewing the tailcap and using the multimeter to fill that role, so it's measuring current drawn by the whole assembly and not just the LED. I suspect it's being driven at less than 300mA, probably 200-250 (the latter if you're an optimist). That is also probably the reason why it achieves >5hr runtimes - low current drain.

I showed both that and the KL1 (rated 15 lumens) to a friend the other day, who said "Are you sure? It looks like the Terralux is 15 and the KL1 is 25 to my eyes".. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nobbe

Newly Enlightened
....... same with mine. Measured about 290mA - and brightness does not seem to be anywhere near the 25 lumen claim ! But I think the target was to achieve a nice long runtime rather than ultra brigtness.

-Norbert

h_nu

Enlightened
Drats! Now I need to make out another shopping list. Wonder what else I need. This flashaholic business is addicting.

I've lurked enough to know I should buy "this AND that".

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Radagast said:
Is it brighter than the arc aa? The price is about the same.

[/ QUOTE ]
It should be about 3X the brightness of the Arc-AA, but only about 1/2 the brightness of a dat2zip sandwich.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't say I'm happy with my TerraLux Ministars. While they are much brighter than a stock mini-mag bulb, the beam quality SUCKS big time. Mine all have jagged patterns throughout the beam, and the hotspot is not well focused. The irregularities and faults of the beam are so intense that its not something that is easily ignored.

The MiniSTAR2 is certainly much better than the factory incandescent Maglite standard bulb, but its no where near the usefulness of the less powerful Opalec module (which has less faults in the beam), and not even on the same hemisphere as the excellent Streamlight Jr. Luxeon (which has only minor beam problems), IMO.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed, to me the Streamlight Jr. for just a wee bit more $ is about 5 times as good. A friend of mine has the $25. ministar. They really do need to do something to improve the beam Q.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Terralux seems to have problems with beam quality.

LED sandwiches are what,$30 to start with? Subject to availavility, not including shipping and clickie nor warranty.

For less than the sandwich alone(!) you can get a streamlight Jr. A great light with white beam and clickie, not to mentione SL's lifetime warranty.

After handling one for a couple minutes I knew the Mini Gag/sandwich mod was dead.

Radagast

Enlightened
Thanks, gents. I'm thinking about christmas presents. All my family and friends got arc aaa's 2 years ago and I'd like to get everyone some luxeons this year and the 30 dollar price range is perfect. .I really like the looks of that Minimax 1 aa. SL Jr. may fit the bill too. Oh well, I still have some time to shop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif