Need to replace my Arc4+ reflector

Status
Not open for further replies.

impact_blue

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,
So I got my Arc4+ and I'm really quite happy with it - being a 2nd and all I wasn't expecting the world; but its a rev1 and I like the smooth front barrell, and it's my current EDC. I'm pretty darned happy with it.

I've sent this throught to Peter, but I thought I'd also ask you guys on it. I did, however notice a flaked blemish on the reflector, so as I wanted to swap the lens out for a UCL anyway I removed the ring to clean the reflector. As I know that any small blemish can adversley affect the light output, and being of a photographic background (cleaning lenses all the time) I used a Pecpad (very fine dustless disposable cloth) with a drop of Eclipse Optical Cleaning solution to clean it. All was going to be sweet.

Much to my horror this met with disaster, as the reflector has a lacquer coating that must be dissolvable by the Eclipse solution (contains Methanol). As such the small reflective blemish is now accompanied by a smudge that is in the lacquer coating the reflector. I have worked at this further and reduced the extreme smudging, but much of one area of the reflector is now back to the bare silver coaing, surrounded by smudging!! It still works okay, but

Anyway this leads to my question - as I want to rectify this. Has anyone swapped out the reflector in an Arc4+? If so: How? and if you didn't get a reflector from Arc what reflector did you use??

Hope someone can help... I'll let you know what Peter advises as well.

Cheers,
Nathan.

simbad

Enlightened
I think in your case you should speak with Peter for a repair.Since the head of the Arc 4+ is potted it's not very easy to work on it.

impact_blue

Newly Enlightened
Yep thats about the sum of it!!! Not user replaceble - Peter can replace it - but its like buying a new Arc4+. He also said it was prolly a 2nd due to the reflector and/or the LED.

As it still works and the perfectionist in me is seeing the issue - I'm going to leave it and will have to pick up a 1st at some stage later when finances are better.

Thanks for your input y'all!!

Cheers,
Nathan

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
This must sound stupid.....but....
what would happen if you lined it carefully with tin foil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

impact_blue

Newly Enlightened
Hey nekomane,
I tink it will make things worse to be honest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif the smudge and bare reflector material doesn't overly affect the beam characteristics, its just my new toy and I know its there.

So it works fine (well still tryng to master the menu system to be honest) but if shined at a wall to display the beam pattern you can see a slight vatiation - and it is on the same side as the area where the laquer has been removed. Ergo my bad....

Anyways not too worry. I'll EDC still but don't you hate when you do something stoopid you can't fix??

Cheers,
Nathan

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
impact_blue said:
Anyways not too worry. I'll EDC still but don't you hate when you do something stoopid you can't fix??

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't we all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
There are a few chaps in the CPF's that make sputtered reflectors for other lights. If that process is some kind of spray there might be a chance. Some careful masking of the lux and bezel and spray away.
You would end up with maybe the first arc4 with a sputtered reflector. hmm there's food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.