• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Mini HID

Jets22

Enlightened
Looking for one of Silvers Mini HID conversions UFO did awhile ago. PM if ya got one available.. Thanks all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jets...

If you just want the light and power of the mini-HID and not so much the form factor of the Mag

check out these HID ATV HIDs. They are 13watt HID and work off of 12-14Volts. Just buy one and hook up a 12V source like a battery pack. You're good with metal, i think you'll make something GREAT out of these. A pair for ATVs can be found for ~179 on eBay and ~89 retail online.

I believe they are made by a company called Trail Tech, do a search and Trail Tech HID and see what turns up.

Light_hid.jpg

Link to an online store...

Link to eBay auction

vacuum3d

Enlightened
Laurence,
This is interesting, but are you saying that these lights can't fit inside a Mag? The picture of it mounted on a helmet looks pretty small. I wonder if anyone here had modded this HID??? Is it as bright as the UK LC100?

ernest

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
IIRC, the helmet mounted HID lights use the same Welch Allyn 10W HID systems that were used in Silver's/UFO's Mini HID Mags. I have no idea which model WA ballasts are used in the helmet mounted ones. But you can easily tell which ballasts they are by the color coding of the ballast's power leads.

ufokillerz

Enlightened
they use a 13.8v ballast or something like that, i asked about their ballasts.

i am doing more mini-hids very soon. Look for my post in groupbuy or custom lights soon soon. it will be a preorder thing. bodies take about a month, lamps/ballast take maybe a week.

Aten_Imago

Banned
Anyone have beamshots? I'm hoping someone can rig one or two of these for a much needed Video ENG set-up that would be powered by a 12V NiMH pack I've got. Any interest at all in making something up?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
Aten_Imago said:
Anyone have beamshots?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's an old one I took when I first got mine that's not that good but it'll give you an idea of how bright it is:

Mini-HID Mag B10N001 sputtered reflector vs. Mag3C Lux3T DD sputtered reflector @ 25ft.:
hid-mag_mag3c-tv0k-nimh.jpg

Might I add that the LuxIII DD mod is a bright sucker but is no where close to competing with the Mini-HID.

You can view some nice comparison shots here. After you click on the link, scroll down a little and you'll see links for various distances, 1m, 5m, 10m, 20m, 40m, & 60m. After you click on one of the distance links, up top on the right, you will see LED, Luxeon, HID, etc. Clicking on one of these will show you different beamshots of the corresponding light at the catagorized distance in which you can compare. Under HID, HID-10W is the Mini-HID Mag. There are very nice comparisons.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link Darkzero. Can you tell me the runtime on the mini-hid before batteries need to be changed?

The MAXTEL JF990 is pretty impressive.

Thanks.

Curtis

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
cue003 said:
Thanks for the link Darkzero. Can you tell me the runtime on the mini-hid before batteries need to be changed?

The MAXTEL JF990 is pretty impressive.

Thanks.

Curtis

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem on the link.

Runtime, I have no idea. I've never kept it on for really long periods of time cause I was always afraid to melt the stock Mag reflector even though I never have. I now have a PMR in it because of the heat issue but I still prefer the sputtered Mag reflector in it since it throw just a bit farther.

When the batts get low, the light starts to flicker. I also notice on warm up, slight flickering as the batts get depleated. Constant flicker when the batts are to low to power it is bad for it. I've only used up the batts to this point once since I've had it (It never leaves my house since it is one of my most favorite flashlights). Flickering and powering it ON and OFF often in short periods of time is not good for any HID system. It decreases the life of the metal halide bulb and probably the ballast too AFAIK (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Hopefully someone else that actually puts the light to use can answer on the runtime. If UFO does another run, I'll get another and will actually put that one to use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Yeah, that JF990 is pretty impressive. Appears to use an automotive based metal halide bulb. Did you see the comparison against the 10W HIDs at 60M? That's insane! I normally don't like lights this big but for that much light coming out of that package, I'd definitely get one if I had the extra funds.

J_Oei

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
What is the ballpark price of one of your lights?

[/ QUOTE ]

I paid $255 for a turnkey version. I think the kits were less than half that.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
Aten_Imago said:
DarkZero
Very impressive Beamshot. Thanks. It's too 'spot' for what I need. Oh well!

[/ QUOTE ]

Too "spot" as in the picture of the beamshot or the Mini-HID's actual beam?

Since you mentioned for Video ENG (whatever ENG stands for), I assume your refering to the beam itself, the light is fully focusable and can give a very wide flood. Check out the link I posted and you can see. But when focused wide you will get a large "black hole" that probably won't suit your needs with the Mag or PMR reflector.

However aside from the Single Ended Lamp that is used for this mod, Welch Allyn does offer two other "reflectorized" lamps for the 10W systems. Not sure if they can meet your needs but they are 6deg and 13deg with a MR11 type reflector. Solarc 10W Datasheet

Just trying to help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Aten_Imago

Banned
I need anything that will put out 50Watts in a 45ºX90º illumination angle at 5,000-5,400º K with as much eveness as possible. ENG = Electronic News Gathering. Basically the kind of Video that is 'On Location' with the light mounted on the Camera's hotshoe- right over the lens. I'm sure someone can put together a 2, 1W X 3, 1W 'bank of High domes' to make this happen. Basically the Video Industry is screaming for a light that will cover the wider angle of view of the widescreen HD TV cameras. Everyone on CPF seems to be stuck in 'circular' beam profiles. We need a rectangle please.

robstarr-lite

Newly Enlightened
ENG, is short for either "electronic news gathering or engineering news gathering"........industry jargon…referring to the operators/crew that command/operate the equipment for the recording and/or broadcasting industry like…. TV, news, radio….etc....one good free source of TV, digital/analogue – broadcasters, production type of infor is www.tvtechnology.com…..

rob

ufokillerz

Enlightened
the tks were around 255, the kits were roughly 225. the pricing has changed due to new pricing from welch allyn etc. Still working on a post soon. It will be a bit more then before.

i built myself another one today, bright little sucker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Thanks to silver for the body.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey ufo...i don't know how much you pay for your mag bodies, but i made an HID mod myself using the HID from the UKE Light Cannon.

I had a local machinist bore out the mag body to fit the ballast for $25 cash.

ufokillerz

Enlightened
i do pay quite a bit more, but they arent just bored, they have been cut down, bored, custom tail switches, custom battery pack, etc.

Latest posts