Do light makers know about CPF?

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
The recent "light of your dreams" post got me to thinking about something.

Do any of the major producers of flashlights know about CPF? I truly wonder. I mean, this site was big when I first joined, then went about 8-9 months without visiting and now, WOW. This site is truly international now, and the membership has boomed. And think about the cash flow that is generated here. I mean really, there are some companies that I remember that were only fledgling ideas from someone operating out of their garage making a product and now there are a legitimate business.

Wouldn't you think that the big companies would lurk here to get ideas? Could this be behind the recent surge of leds in the so called "mainstream" market?

And what I was really wondering about is how much mention was made in reference to good and bad points of m*g lites. Honestly, they are the big boys right now, and I say so because everyone knows what a m*g lite is, it's practically a house hold name. And you don't get to that position with limited sales.
Do you think they would read our posts and come up with some other ideas/products. Maybe not necessarily making 3 and 5 watt Lux lights, but alter the design or make a few new ones or improvements to what they have. Or is it that so many out there keep shelling out the bucks for the same old thing because that is all they have seen or know or won't pay more for "just a flashlight"?

Alas, it is probably cheaper for them in the long run to keep up the same route, no need to upgrade or change their machining tools and dies, no extra R&D costs. We may not be fond of them, but the general public is what's keeping them alive.
There has always been talk that their day will be ending soon and that there are changes on the horizon that they will eventually have to heed but I do not see it coming for a long time.

coachbigdog

Enlightened
I guarantee they do.Just look at some of the recent lights that have come out.The Streamlight Jr. is a perfect example! They are WATCHING US!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK that's it.

I'm going to go and get a job with some big light manufacturer, and then my job can be to keep my eye on CPF.

Great! I already stay here almost all day long. Then I'd be able to get paid for doing it.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
I spoke to a lady at Inova a few months ago and she said they knew all about CPF.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
And don't forget about HDS Systems and Technology Associates, and of course, Arc Flashlight LLC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
If it weren't for CPF, Arc Flashlight would probably not even exist. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
O, and Peak LED Solutions knows about CPF.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many certainly do. A few months back Peter Atwood posted this thread where he describes buying a Nightcutter at a gun store and writing a post about it. A couple weeks later he was contacted by Nightcutter thanking him for the mention.

It would seem to me that CPF would bring real advantages to light makers at nearly any level of involvement whether they were lurking, contributing or moderating.

Who knows who's reading this? Hi Tony!

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sub_Umbra said:
Who knows who's reading this? Hi Tony!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I would guess that most of the "active" mfg's are aware of CPF and probably lurk from time to time. However, like probably most of us, they miss much of what is written due to the overwhelming volume and traffic here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suppose if manufacturers lurked on cpf once in a while they would only ream information once in a while. If they were more active on cpf they could learn a lot more about the more dedicated flashaholics and how hobbiest really make lights better. That information would be worth more than just lurking.

flashlite

Enlightened
I had a problem with a flashlight I purchased from a fairly large LED flashlight manufacturer not too long ago. I contacted them via email a few times but the problem wasn't getting resolved to my satisfaction. In my last email, I mentioned I was a member of CPF. When I returned home a few hours later, there was a message from the manufacturer waiting for me on my answering machine.

Yes....they know we're here and they understand the strength in numbers - use it to your advantage!

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
And they also understand just how quickly negative information can get disseminated via the internet on forums.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
"Yes....they know we're here and they understand the strength in numbers - use it to your advantage!

All of us are members of CPF; nothing more or nothing less. There have been posts in the past where a member has mentioned that they used CPF as a lever and these posts typically receive less than a warm welcome. The sword cuts both ways. Unless one has been appointed as a representative of CPF (not likely) it would be wise not to assume such a position. I see nothing wrong with stating the fact of membership but it may not always work *for* you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif JMHO.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. It also tarnishes our sterling reputation as ladies and gentlemen from a fine membership. I, for one, would like to be greeted with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif rather than /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif upon mentioning CPF.