Any runtime estimates of the ARC LS with NIMH batteries?

MY

Enlightened
I am trying to figure out if there is any disadvantage in using NIMH batteries (1700 mah-just bought for about $10 at Wally World) in my ARC LS. I would like to use the most economical battery route while still getting maximum brightness out of the light . Is it worth it to use alkalines and do I get substantially more brightness?

Sorry if this was addressed in other threads.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
At your request, I just did a brightness test with Arc LS two AA battery pack. No beam shots or scientific light readings, just what I gather from the naked eye, shining it on the wall in the completely dark bathroom.

As official reviewers have pointed out in their LS brightness/runtime graphs, Lithiums brightest of all, slightly brighter then alkalines. I concur but just very slightly brighter. However alkaline's and lithiums are both considerably brighter then NIMH's, maybe 30 percent? My guess is lower voltage really makes a difference with regulated Arc. However with my incandescent Surge, I prefer the NIMH. Only slightly dimmer then alkalines to start with and will maintain near even brightness throughout the discharge of the batteries.

So no runtime results, but NIMH substantially dimmer then alkalines in Arc LS.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
I've actually been using my ARC LS with mostly nimh...1600mah.

It's BRIGHT! Atleast I thought so... I never used new alkalines...just half dead ones, which were dimmer than partially used nimh.

If I get around to a runtime test/brightness comparo, I will post it.

MY

Enlightened
Mr. Telephony or equivilent others, could you please do a runtime and brightness test of the ARC LS on NIMH batteries? Please!
smile.gif