Camping trip lights suggestions please!

jbroker83

Enlightened
I'm going on a weekend camping trip with a bunch of jr. high aged kids next weekend. I'll be in charge of supplying the adults (7 of them) with lights. Would like any advice as to what lights to bring, considering spotlights, l.e.d.'s, and incandescent.
I'm allowed to probably take as many as I need.
My choices to select from:
Incandescent: Surefire g2's, Pelican M6, SF G2Z, 6P,
Streamlight Scorp, Tl-2,Brinkmann Legend LX, PT Surge, RAGE, Tec-40, and Blast. Also a Streamlight pro-poly 4AA incandescent, and a 3C Xenon. I also have 2-6D mags, not sure if I want to bring any of those except a 6D for campground security.....

LED's--TwinTask 1L,2L,2D. Pro-poly 4AA 7 LED, Surefire L4, CMG Reactor, PT Impact, Streamlight 3AA tasklight luxeon.

Spotlights:
Coleman 2 Million, Vector 1Mill, 500,000, Thor 3.5 Mill, and Thor 10 Million.

We'll be staying at a campground that is very dark with almost no artificial lighting.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Rex

Newly Enlightened
All camping trips are different, so here's my general suggestion:
1. Bring lights of single battery type(the common ones like AA)if possible.
2. Ensure lights are waterproof/water resistant.
3. Ensure majority of lights are inexpensive enough in case they get lost/broken.
4. Make sure to bring enough batteries of the chosen battery type.

Then you can decide later on form factor, throw, etc.

My 2 cents.

Rex

fivebyfive

Enlightened
I would take:
Incandescent- G2, surge, pt-40, and Pro-poly 4aa
LED-Pro-poly 4aa 7 LED and streamlight 3aa tasklight
Spotlight-Thor 10 million

Except for the G2 and the Thor, they all used AA batteries which will save you a lot of headache when it's time to pack. I suspect that since you're supplying the lights, then you'll also supply the batteries. AA batteries are easy to find and cheap. The G2 is easy to carry just in your pocket, so it will always be with you. The Thor is well, just because it's 10 million and if you got it, then bring it. Good luck and have fun.

jbroker83

Enlightened
Yeah, I'm gonna have to bring the Thor cause I'm thinking it'll go a long ways with keeping the Jr. High kids' attention. My main concern is the campground is in the open of a large half-circle of trees.....and I want the thor to be able to quickly penetrate the tree line, as there have been reports of mountain lions and other wild animals out there. I wonder if a mountain lion would be deterred by the thor's beam? hope I don't have to find out.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe any feline species would not really be deterred by the beam but maybe you can try and let us know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In my opinion, for camp lights nothing beats a Surefire E2e with a KL1 LED conversion head for long run-time. Inova X5T are very good also for moving around the camp site or for looking for things within. Of course I would pack along some high powered incandescents for detail and throw. My light of choice would be the Surefire M3 but as long as you have a light that matches or surpass the M3's power then it should suffice.

Batteries are not really a concern for me. Since lithiums are so light I could pack a lot of them and not get burdened by their weight.

paulr

Flashaholic
I'd say leave all the bright stuff except the Thor (if you've got something like that, you have to bring it). In very dark surroundings, a little light goes a long way. Equip everyone with a small, not too expensive LED light, since I bet at least one light will get lost, and if it's the L4 then whoever loses it will in for an enormous shock when they find out how much it costs.

Really, I think the best light for this situation is something like the Dorcy 1AA 3LED light. You could even go buy a bunch of them to hand out, or else cobble up some reasonably close set of selections from what you have on hand. Also nice is red LED coin cell lights, 20 for $20.00 from Countycomm, for night vision.

Unless you're going to try to cover a lot of distance in the dark, you shouldn't need lights very much. Being in very dark natural surroundings is a rare and wonderful thing. You can do wonderful stargazing without a lot of city lights, cars, and flashlights messing things up.

You said next weekend, which means about 3/4 moon, I think. That's enough natural light to walk around without bumping things. Our ancestors did that for millions of years and we wouldn't be here if they'd all fallen into pits in the dark. I'd say minimize use of flashlights, and bring binoculars to look at the stars with.

Frankly I'd feel ok going on that trip with nothing but a coin cell light.

http://www.darksky.org

dougmccoy

Enlightened
All the suggestions above are good commonsense options and may I also suggest that the lights issued to youngsters are cheap robust LED's with lanyards. The adults should also carry one of these + a more powerful incandescent light for emergencies, searches and the like.
In rural areas where light pollution is unnoticeable LED's will be more than up to the job with the benefit of no blown bulbs and long runtimes. Kids, junvenilles and some adults will 'play' with flashlights and waste batteries. LED's minimise this problem and can be left on overnight in a tent if the occupant doesn't like the dark!
Lanyards are an obvious way to minimise loses and are useful to hang lights from tentpoles etc. Your concerns about wildlife are justified and my only real fear would be from bears. Mountain lions would probably avoid large groups of humans alone but bears foraging at night are a different problem. Unfortunately if you suspect you are in an area frequented by them it would be wise to have someone take a turn on watch during the night!

Enjoy your trip and hope you dont loose too many of the lights!

Doug

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few thoughts --

The AA or 123 lights can pack a big bang, and LED's burn a long time, and they should be able to handle your need for light. Low weight and powerful lights are tempting to bring along, but the cool-let's-play-with-it factor means bring extra batteries. And be prepared to loose lights. Even trustworthy and responsible kids are tempted by "toys" and adults are worse. Trust me on this. Keep the neat toys at home and go for utilitarian. Still impressive, but less tempting.

For area lighting, how about a 4AA florescent? I've used one for years. It weighs next to nothing, and runs for quite a while. If bugs are a concern, try using yellow tape made for taillights (tends to keep them down a bit).

However, part of camping is enjoying the dark. Seeing the skies and nature at night is something we've forgotten how to enjoy. Lots of things in nature go on in the dark. Check them out!

A few years ago while working solo on a very, very dark road in a forest (long story), I found myself about ten feet away from a bobcat, sneaking up on me. Not a time to play "here, kitty, kitty." Simply by standing tall and making a bit of noise, it jumped about three feet in the air, turning 180 degrees, and was gone in a hurry. I don't recommend trying this again, but it was pretty much a hoot. Talk about stealth...

As Doug said, worry about bears, though. Keep your food separate and away from tents, preferably in "bear bags" or cans, and up a tree. Do not let anyone leave food or trash out, and don't even think about feeding the wildlife. You'd set a bad example and remember that other people will have to deal with them later.

Lights don't deter most animals. Best to make 'em aware that people are in the area, and noise makes the easiest and best way to do that. Consider a bear bell - a clip-on small bell. There are different schools of thought on these as to whether they work or not, but what the heck. On the other hand, I sometimes wonder if mine isn't just ringing the dinner bell for a hungry bear.

Now, there was the time when we knew there were boars (meaner than bears) in the area, and that the next weekend was the rattlesnake roundup, but that's something for later.

-(a different) Craig

paulr

Flashaholic
Re equipping kids, on another thread like this someone who had experience as a scout leader had some interesting advice. I don't remember it all, but it basically said, lights equipped to kids should be 1) all exactly the same, so the kids don't fight over the nicer ones; 2) not too bright, since they will shine them in each others' eyes; 3) rugged, since they'll get thrown around and stuff. His conclusion was: use the stock 2AA Minimag. I think the 1AA, 3LED Dorcy is a reasonable alternative and the price is roughly the same, but either way, the general advice seems sound.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd agree with most on keeping the uniformity of the batteries too... esp Paul's suggestion on everyone using the same lights.

I would suggest:
1) Low lighting - Dorcy 1AA 3Led or Ultra G. Else the UKE 2AAA eLed is cheap and bright too...

2) High lighting - A bunch of PT Blasts or Tec 40s maybe, if they're cheap enough?

I suppose all these are cheap, bright and rugged enough?

Well I guess if each of them have a low level light already, it'd be enough for walking and not all would need a 2nd light with more throw. You could assign a specific few with the more powerful, incan lights and have them rotate among themselves if you're doing night walks... And of course you being the leader of the pack get to carry and use all the cooler and brighter lights... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

h_nu

Enlightened
Excellent suggestions here and I'm glad to see fellow CPF'ers share my appreciation of a true black night sky.

I'd carry the Dorcy AA and, although I like my Surge, for a group I might use a Dorcy Boss 4 AA or Garrity G-Tech with an epeion or EverLED. The flashlights are cheap with decent throw and the LED would get good life from the batteries.

DoubtingBeliever

Newly Enlightened
Although I don't see it on your list, I have become a big fan of headlamps in recent months. They are really helpful for tasks around camp. My recently acquired Streamlight Septor has become one of my favorite lights.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Low lighting CMG Infinity Ultra
Medium lighting Streamlight Jr. Luxeon
High power Pick your favorite cannon

For my camping trips, my Arc AAA/AA works great for general walking around. My boys have the Dorcy AAA LED light and love it. The modified minimag uses a ultra-high output (R bin) Luxeon LED running at 1.65 watts. It is the "what is that" light when walking around.

The cannon is a 2D Mag with another one of those R bins running at approx 3 watts. It will throw out well over 100 meters with a piercing light.

The general purpose light that burns for a loooong time is Elektrolumens Anglelux 2D. It uses a Luxeon driven at around a watt and will run 24 hours on two D cells. That is my wifes favorite for camping.

The Dorcy AAA costs $6 at Wally World, the Streamlight Jr. Luxeon 2AA runs $30 and the high powered cannon-type lights are up to you.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Assuming you're picking from the collection you listed, here's my suggestion.

IF you are willing to use the CR123 powered lights, I'd go for the G2's, Brinkmann LX, Scorpion, SF L4 (for yourself).

The Twin Task light should be great camping lights.

The Thor 10 million.....just because!

flashlightfreek

Newly Enlightened
Take plenty of LEDs for low light uses and battery preservatives, and incandescents for high light uses! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*
Roy ,FYI my wife took my son on a Church campout and they took my THOR TEN MILLION CP with them when they got back I was told it got more WOW than the sparklers and other fireworks they took. I like the little Dorcy AAA LED for kids of all ages.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jbroker83

Enlightened
Thank-you for all the suggestions. I'm pretty much thinking my Streamlight Trident may be a must. We are planning a fairly long hike through the woods (on a trail) to a campfire. During this hike, I'll be in charge of keeping the kids on the trail, making sure none of them sneak off, and making sure our adults have plenty of light to lead the way. I'm thinking of giving the leaders my PT Surge (with a warning about leaving it on too long) my PT Tec-40 w/L91's, and perhaps my two Rages. Since there will only be four of them up front, I think that should do. I may even lend one of them my 3D mag stuffed with 4 c's in it. As for me, I'll be bringing up the rear, and will have my L4, a G2, and my 4D or 6D mag. Probably won't be taking the Thor along on the hiking trip since it's about 11 pounds. Anymore ideas would be great! Thanks.

flashlightfreek

Newly Enlightened
YES! The Streamlight Trident is an excellent choice for all hands-free use. I used it the other night when I went for a jog in the night, it worked great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif