Common International Slang

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
In another thread I learned, form Size 15's, that "knackered" is English slang for broken. Do you have any interesting slang that we might have fun knowing and using?

Let's hear from our world wide wiseguys.

maverick

Enlightened
I learnt from a Canadian friend that they call shabby old cars "beaters". In Australia, they're called "bombs".

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, beaters have been around Wisconsin since before Women's Lib /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (30 years) and does not refer to domestic violence. We salt our road so heavily in the winter that the older cars used to start rusting after three years. Now, with better anti corrosion, newer cars last much longer.

AlphaTea

Enlightened
Well "knickers" comes to mind. In most of the english speaking world it means underpants (panties, bloomers, boxers etc.) Here in the USA, it usually means the calf lengthed pants worn by children a century ago, and sometimes by golfers.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was told "tacky" or "tackie" by a Norwegian friend that it is a common slang used by Americans to mean something that was made with no value of usefulness. Is that true?

Topper

Flashaholic*
Around here you can dress tacky or say something tacky having no tact. An example would be "Gee you don't sweat much,for a fat girl" thats tacky.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I've heard "buggered" used interchangably for "broken," but it might also have other connontations, since "buggering" and "rodgering" can be used as action verbs similar to one of the FORBIDDEN four-letter words here in the US.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Bart that was tacky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to get into *too* much detail, but "buggering" is "rodgering" from a slighty different angle/direction if you get my drift...

We also have funny slang words for different amounts of money, like a score is £20,a pony is £50, a monkey is £200. Theres a few more that i cant recall.

Dictionary of british slang
*not for kids

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I always assumed that "rodgering" indiciated a specific set of participants, opposed to "buggering" - perhaps not. The link doesn't go into that much detail.

[shrugs]

Size15's

Flashaholic
what do you think "wonga" means?
I realise you can perhaps google it, but it seems rare slang few people I say it to recognise. How's about on an international stage?

perhaps the most obvious slang differences I encounter when communicating with "Americans" are "pants" and "fanny"...

Al

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure that the fanny definition should be given here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CNC Dan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Topper said:
Al, please clue us in---what do you think pants and fanny mean??

[/ QUOTE ]

In the US fanny means bum, or bottom or rear end.

But in the UK it is the equevalant of "THE C word"

CNC Dan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pjandyho said:
I was told "tacky" or "tackie" by a Norwegian friend that it is a common slang used by Americans to mean something that was made with no value of usefulness. Is that true?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tacky comes from ticky tacky. A type of cheap cardboard. Very poor people may make shacks and 'houses' out of ticky tacky.

Thus, anything that is very sub-standard may be likend to ticky tacky, or tacky for short. This has mutated to meaning "of poor taste".

Se this song from the 1960's web page

Quazar

Enlightened
Kakster- a Monkey is 500 quid.

Pants: there two definations for this word
1, underware 2, something thats no good
e.g. "this DVD is pants, I want a refund".

Do you guys know about bolloxed or jacobs