You know you're getting old when.........

coachbigdog

Enlightened
You know you\'re getting old when.........

I knew I was getting old when I started substitute teaching while coaching and couldn't figure out how to turn on the calculators that the kids were using.You had to push "on" and then ANOTHER button to get it on.In my day,on was ON!Then I saw a kid staring very attently at his calculator and asked what he was doing.He said he was playing a game.On a calculator?THEN In one math class I noticed the kids were not using graph paper because the calculators do the graphing FOR YOU!Man I felt out of touch that day.And the kids looked at me like I'd been living under a rock.Well I say,"OH yeah!Have you ever used a record player! 8 track,what is that!" LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: You know your getting old when.........

You know you're getting old when...

- you remember how good (real) rock & roll sounded on an AM radio when you were hiding under the covers after you were supposed to be asleep

- when you remember the original TV series (and not the second TV version) that they're making into a movie

- you remember the book (or comic book /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif) they made into the original TV series

However, my stepson and one of my nephews had a hard time trying to use a rotary dial telephone a few years ago -- it was almost like revenge. They said it hurt their fingers, the wimps!

-(a different) Craig

freeze12

Enlightened

When You go out shopping & park Your car then when You come out You forget where You parked the car so You feel like an idiot walking around the lot with a Grocery cart or handful of items looking for the darn car!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Shanghaied

Newly Enlightened

-When you start sentences with "The children nowadays... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif" with alarming frequency.

-When ice-creams (or anything else for that matter) cost almost twice as much as you remembered when you were a kid.

-When you complain that the post office, the subway, and whole country were better before (by far!).

I do all of the above and I'm only in my twenties, go figure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

-when AM radios that played the good R & R were too big to hide under the covers because they used, large, heat producing vacuum tubes (Limey "valves" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

-when most drugstores and supermarkets had tube testers.

-when you kept several spare "needles" on hand for your, groove cleaving, 78 rpm, record player.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

-when vibrators were used in your car radio or was an appliance used to soothe your BACK muscles.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

1) When a teenager gives up his seat for you on the bus or train.

2) When even the biggest alphabet in the book seemed like a patch of black.

3) When you think modern rock music a noise to your ears.

4) When you could no longer munch on your crackers.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

You know that you are getting old when you look at the title of this thread and want to change it to "you're" (you are contraction) instead of "your" (a possesive term).

Oh, that's just cranky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

coachbigdog

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:

You know that you are getting old when you look at the title of this thread and want to change it to "you're" (you are contraction) instead of "your" (a possesive term).

Oh, that's just cranky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OOPS! You know you ARE getting old when you USED to be able to spell! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UK Owl

Enlightened

You start to read all those ' You know when your getting old when...... ' lists

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Shanghaied said:

-When ice-creams (or anything else for that matter) cost almost twice as much as you remembered when you were a kid.

[/ QUOTE ]

-When everyday things cost TEN TIMES as much they did when you were a kid.

-When it's easier to wait for a movie to be shown on TV than to go see it in a theatre, especially since you haven't liked most new movies in a long time, anyway.

-When instead of never thinking that you may be older someday, you're just very thankful that you won't ever have to be young again.

AND IF THAT'S NOT BAD ENOUGH--

-You go to the supermarket on the second Thursday of the month never giving it a second thought -- until after you get home and are checking out your reciept and you see that for the first time they have given you the 5% Senior Citizens discount...

coachbigdog

Enlightened

When you look EVERY WHERE for your keys,but can't find them because they are IN YOUR HAND!(did it today!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

danielo_d

Enlightened

I saw a kid with a 'rockers' T-shirt. It had a image of one of those plastic snap-in adapters for 45 rpm single records. I told the kid that's a pretty cool idea. The kid didn't know what the picture was. Go figure! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Found one!
45_Adapter.JPG

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

...when you bend over to pick something up and you think to yourself "as long as I'm down here, is there anything else I should do?"

BF Hammer

Enlightened

...When you used to look forward to summer TV reruns because, well, recording television was science fiction stuff.

...You have had to pick up a phone and ask the people talking on it how much longer before you can make your call on the party line.

...It used to take as long as a week to get photographs developed.

...your newspaper was once delivered by a kid without being driven around by his/her parent.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I did that at the airport and it took me a solid half hour to find it upon returning from my flight. The next time I fly, I will "mark" the spot with my GPS. That's combating older age!

[ QUOTE ]
freeze12 said:
When You go out shopping & park Your car then when You come out You forget where You parked the car so You feel like an idiot walking around the lot with a Grocery cart or handful of items looking for the darn car!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

When I was a kid in 1957, I had an allowance of 25 cents a week. I could buy a comic book for 10 cents, a bottle of pop (soda for Americans) for 10 cents and a bag of potato chips for 5 cents. One Canadian dollar got you US$1.08; it's been a long time since the Canadian dollar was worth more than its American equivalent.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

I used to collect and return pop bottles for the 2 cents deposit. Back then bring back a few empty pop bottles would buy me a modest amount of candy.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: You know you\'re getting old when.........

...you enjoy watching golf on TV instead of going out of your way to avoid it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif