newbie question

mutated_corpse

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys.

I took a look at the acronyms and i wouuld say i am shocked. I think i know not more than half of the terms used there. Basically, what i am trying to say is, i know nothing about flashlights. So i would appreciate if you guys can tell me more about the basics of flashlights. Meaning, tell me more about the things that distinguish your flasholics from the others.

Thanks. Your have been a helpful lot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
These generalizations are true in the vast majority of circumstances (but there are exception to each one of these)

1) Brighter the light, the shorter the runtime!
2) LED's come in two types, smaller 3 or 5 mm diameter with outputs of 1-3 lumens each OR Luxeon Star LEDS made by Lumaleds with outputs around 17-30 lumens each.
3) Incandescent lamps (regular light bulbs) still kick LED's butt if you want to throw a beam of light beyond about 30 feet.
4) Surefire Lights are Tactical lights, not general purpose lights for the homeowner. As such they are usually purchased (except for CPF members) by taxpayers for issue to special people who do tactical things.
5) Textured reflectors produce a smoother beam that smoothly polished reflectors.
6) Adjustable focus is a lie. There is only one focal point, you are de-focusing a light. Marketing people love this bullsxxx. Some people find the feature helpful anyway, when they need a less intense light. Me I set the focus to the least annoying beam shape and then never fiddle with it again.
7) Flood v Spot. 90% of people should buy a flood beam that throws no more than the length of their backyard. Questions like "Hi I'm new here and I want a flashlight with a tight spot that lights up a tree 300 yards away to impress my friends, what do you recommend" makes me roll my eyes and say to myself here we go again.
8) Lithiums are really not that more expensive and kick alkalines butt for several reasons, however they are harder to find. Buy from Surefire or other vendors here on CPF ($1-$2 each)

That will start you out

GregR

jook

Newly Enlightened
Wow Greg, thanks for that executive summary. When can we expect #9, 10, 11 .... ;-0 Seriously, a nice primer for some of us.

One thing I sort of disagree with is the generalization about Surefire. I bought the G2 and L4 in my maniacal buying craze right after I joined this place. The G2 is a fantastic general purpose light - I keep it in my car along with the surefire SC. As for the L4, i found lots of general purposes for it. Not only is it handy around the house, but more importantly, I can impress the heck out of my neighbors ;-0.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
jook-

I agree with you and would recommend the E series, G series and the L4 as more general purpose.

GregR

Latest posts