*** QUICK *** question on Photon Rav'n

arab

Enlightened
*** QUICK *** question on Photon Rav\'n

Does the Rav'n have microswitches like the latest PIIIs?

Based on comments here last week about Photon prices, I looked at Vicomptel's web site, and emailed them asking about shipping costs to Ireland. The prompt reply said $1.60 - very cheap. I then saw the rav'n available for $18 compared to $24.95 on the LRI web site. I think I'm hooked. Now I'm not a party animal or anything, the justification for buying the light would be "no justification", how refreshing!

While we are on the subject, has anybody purchased from Vicomptel? Other prices are (Vicomptel/LRI): P1 $6.50/$11.95, P2 $10/$19.95, P3 $14/$25.95. I asked about the P3 and was told they are the microswitch (i.e. latest) type.

All the best
Alan the non-party animal from Ireland

arab

Enlightened
Re: *** QUICK *** question on Photon Rav\'n

Anybody ?

My finger is twitching over the "SEND" button, I just need to know that the Rav'n I'm about to buy is not an old model. I can't wait much longerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ....

arab

Enlightened

Muscle cramp setting in ...

(aka an attempt to keep my posting "up There" ...)

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall

dont buy no no nooooooooooo!
shocked.gif
go to hosfelt and get the eternalight raven and youll never look back

mikep

Enlightened

My photon rav'n is several months old, and I don't think it has a microswitch. (I am looking through the translucent case) I don't carry it like the P3, so I have never had it come on accidentally.

Sorry I can't give you a better answer

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Mine is from when they first came out, and it has a three point brass "bridge" thingie that has one of the legs positioned above a contact on the board. I don't know if newer models have microswitches or not.

arab

Enlightened

Thanks guys! I sent in my order this morning. I'll post an update when (if?) I receive the light.

The muscle cramp has almost gone away!

Plinko

Newly Enlightened

I've purchased from Vicomptel INC and they were FABULOUS! Excellent packaging job, speed shipping time, USPS Priority Mail got here fast. They're great because not only is it half the price as the local R.E.I. store is selling them for, but also because of all the varieties they offer! I got a Turq Crystal Photon-3 that has the clear cover around the LED, and also got the rav'n crystals for fun. I LOVE it!
smile.gif
I got a white P-2 as well, and it was a little more blue/purple than any of my other Photons, but that's probably luck of the draw. I give Vicomptel a HUGE thumbs up! Check 'em out. Vicomptel's Webpage

Cheers!

busbar

Newly Enlightened

telephony #11--

On calculators, I'm reasonably certain that type of switch has been called a "chicklet key" due to its shape and feel. And undesirable too.

arab

Enlightened

Hi,

See below - FYI - reply from LRI regarding the switch type on the Rav'n:

: Has the Rav'n been upgraded to use
: Microswitches like the Photon 3?

No, the Rav'n still uses the older contact switch. We have never had any problems using this switch in the Rav'n, however, since it only has one switch. The problem with the P3 was due to the "see-saw" effect of adjusting both the front and rear switches. Any adjustment made to one side will change the adjustment of the other side, making it difficult (and time-consuming) to get both switches adjusted properly.

-Bryan

I sent in my order to Vicomptel's last week. Watch this space ...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Arab,

your post have helped me decide to order from vicomptel, but just to make sure everything is A OK. I'll wait to see when you recieve your products' so please post ASAP! (my finger too, is itching to "send")
grin.gif

BTW how did you pay, paypal or other means?

arab

Enlightened

Watch this space - Looking out for the postman every day ...

arab

Enlightened

Ok, when I came home this evening there was the Rav'n waiting for me. Everything appeared fine, it was well packaged, etc. The only unusual thing I noticed was that the postage on the envelope was $2.40 - more than the $1.60 I was charged!

The service from Vicomptel was excellent - all my emails were very promptly answered and I got the distinct impression that I was dealing with an enthusiast at the other end. I would recommend them to anybody in the market for a Photon. The main attraction initially was price. They had the cheapest prices for Photons anywhere on the web and the international shipping charges were very low too. The fact that the service was excellent was icing on the cake!

Their website can't cope with international orders, but if you email them at [email protected] they will give you instructions. I sent them my credit card details in a jpg.

The Rav'n itself is a gadget and a nice one at that. As I said above, there was no justification for purchase other than the need to spoil myself
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

arab

Enlightened

I liked my Rav'n so much - I gave it away!
frown.gif
Mind you, my friend liked it as a birthday present).

I've now placed an order for a second Rav'n. Their website say's they are closed this week so it will be delayed - I'll post an update when I receive it.

My experience of Vicomptel has been excellent. Does anybody out there know of a better Photon dealer?

All the best from Alan in Ireland

arab

Enlightened

2nd Rav'n received - 1 week after ordering. Total cost delivered to my doorstep (in Dublin Ireland) $19.60.

I have no connection with Vicomptel other than being a happy customer. I can say that there is probably no cheaper source of Photons anywhere. Their low shipping charges is the icing on the cake - this is especially important for us Europeans where we often get charged more for the shipping itself than for the product (I'm not kidding)!

Now, being a non-raver, can anybody out there give me any tips on what I am supposed to do with this?
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about putting it on your bicycle wheels/spokes - should make a heck of an pretty sight at night. Or tie it to a tethered helium balloon at night near Area 51 and give those UFO hunters something to "document"
smile.gif